4.10 gears to much?

-

hardcore5657

Reaction score
I have a 73 duster with a 727 3 speed the engine head about 450 HP and 475 torque are 4.10 too much for a 3 speed?

Not an expert, but I feel tire size/height, the cars intended purpose, i.e. strip, cruiser, daily driver and personal preferences etc all factor into the answer. I've run 4:11's (old Nova - sorry) on the street and was OK with it. The RPMs were high on the highway on the way to the strip, but I preferred to be geared more for the strip than street at the time. I'm sure others will share their personal experiences with you as well.

Pat

depends on tire height...My 26 inch tires are not a good match...went to 29 inch tall and the 410's were great

I like them but I like being ready to race. If you are into long distance cruising they may not be the best chioce but I wouldnt change mine for anything.

I would say that is more of a race set up but you could be ok with tall tiers ...it will be quick

i run 410s with a 245 street and 26 et street, does great on 50- 60 mile an hour any more than that it gets pretty high in rpm s, i running a 904, in the 1/4 threw the traps around 7100 at 126 , hope it helps:D

had 4.10s with my 340 (ok, I still have them with my 360, not as much fun) and thought they were perfect. Yes, the highway revs were up there and the gas mileage wasn't, but I also never had anything pull me off a light (including people timing red lights to get beside me at speed, and I'd never see their rear bumper lol).
Daily-drove it like that for several years (well, except winter).
Top speed of only about 110, but it was also there before the quarter mile was up.

-with 235/60/14 rear tires and a 727.

If gas was free I be running 4.56 gears, lol

If you got a short stroke engine like the 340 and if built right, the engine will run all day for many years even if you drove 80--90 all day long

Quiet mufflers are a big help for freeway comfort, imo. Its not the rpm that gets to you but the noise.

Now gas isn't free and traffic can move 75 plus on the freeways

3.23 gears are nicer then but you pay the price taking off from a dead stop

I have a set of 4.10's in there most of the time but I change them out to a set of 3.23's when I go on long cruise's. Only takes about an hour. Less noise and gas. LOL

Jack

Well the stick works better with 4.10's cause the auto converter slips a bit-unless its a lock up unit

mpg will be worst with 4.10's

Its really want kind of ride do you want.Around town up to 50 mph the 4.10's may feel like the perfect gear.Its when your going a steady 65 mph or faster that the engine is spinning faster then it needs to be. If you like driving around to different car shows and not worry about be the quickest to 60 mph from a rest, then yeah 4.10's you don't need

Gas prices seem to keep going up. A 12 mpg ride is still 20% cheaper to drive then a 10 mpg ride

-
Back