4.30 gears ? Should I?

-

Rbob

Reaction score
I just counted the ring and pinion, 43 x 10. I am not sure if I want something this low. I know it will be fun but freeway driving at 65mph is going to be what, 3400 rpms?

It will be behind my 273 solid cammed 4-speed cuda so I think it will help that little motor somewhat. The other option I have is 3.23 or go shopping for 3.55 or 3.91.

I have not picked out tires or wheels but will probably go with 17's and tall as I can get in the back.

Damn, more decisions.

Not going to be a daily driver. Lets year your opinion.

Oh, one more thing... is it ok to use rtv to seal up the housing or should i go get the gasket?

Well......it-just-depends-on-what-size-tires.

430 is pretty darn low for anything other than short hops on 55 mph hiways.

I used to put a 4.30 in my 75 Dart Sport whenever I was on my way to the track, but I ran a 3.23 around town. I used to run a 275X60R15 tire with it. I agree with 67Dart273, that's a tall gear for much street driving.

sound pretty tall if you have plans of using it as a daily driver or on the highway.

I have 4.56 gears in my duster with a 28" tall tire but have yet to drive it around for any length of time to see just what its like but I am sure I will probably downsize some eventually as I would prefer not running such high rpm's all the time.

Get it on the road first, then change the gears. I think 65 is going to be more than 3,400. Mines at 3,800 at 70 with 3.91 and 27 inch tires. Unless you can fit a 30 inch tire, then you be OK, IMO.

3.91's 26"-27" tire plenty of low end with a 2.65 1st and decent crusing. 2800 - 3200 @ 60 mph

I had a set of 4.30's in the Duster for racing only. I have green bearings
in the axle tubes. I'd switch them out for the 3.23 for the street.
Just an option for you.
I traded the 4.30's for a set of 4.56's. hope to get to the finish line a little
quicker now.

I wouldn't go any higher than 3.55 unless you had an overdrive.

As for using RTV to seal the housing. My toyota has the same style pull out center as the mopars. I used rtv on it let it set up for a bit then slapped the center section in. no issues so far.

-
Back