4.30 W/28" Rubber or 3.90 on 26" Shoes?

4.30s With 28" Rubbber or 3.90s on 26" Shoes?

• Go for the attitude run the 4.30 W/28" drag radials

Votes: 48 50.5%
  • Let's be practical 26" Tires on a 3.90 is more sensible

Votes: 47 49.5%

• Total voters
-

VIOLENT\6

12 second N/A Slant 6?
Reaction score
I have a lead on two 8 3/4" pumpkins locally.

One is a 3.90, the other is a 4.30

I want this for my '65 Valiant that will be running on a 10:1 CR quenched N/A \6 240 cu in stroker engine that will also have a 125 shot of giggle juice for fun & games.

The combo will be primarily a N/A application. 4 barrel, 1.6 rockers 1" lifters high lift cam, headers, etc.

N/A HP will be in the high 200 HP range pushing 300 HP. I'm figuring peak HP @ 5500 RPM.

3000 stal W/a 904.

Both combos will have the same effective FDR.

The 28" rubber will look cool & be insurance for a better hook-up on an N2O launch. The 26" tires will be more practacal & I can carry 1 modern compact spare for both front & rear. (the car will be driven on the street occasionally so a spare tire will be carried most of the time) I could match up 28" & 26" compact spares & carry both, but that would be a PITA.

Front rubber will be 26" 185/75R15 radials. 28" 275 section width rear tires would look cool W/the 26" front tires.

So, go for cool or go for practical.?

I say go for the 4.30. The slant needs RPM.

Not to be a killjoy but...
Those big tires will weigh more and take more power to get going, even if the effective gear ratio is the same.
You're not talking about taming monster power.
I say go with the 26".

Why do you have to have a compact tire of the same diameter? All the donuts I've ever seen are way smaller in diameter then the other tires. You could also do like I do and not carry a spare and just bring a tirepatch kit with you as well as a roadside emergency kit (with 12V compressor).

i have 26 x10 slicks and 456s so i would run the 26s with the 430s it'll scoot

The smallest diameter and narrowest tire that will hook, will be the fastest accelerating (less rotating mass, and lighter weight).
For 1/8 mile races I used to run a 3.91 gear with a 8 x 22 x 13 slick.
For quarter mile switched to a 6 x 26 x 15W slick.

I would not worry about the size of the slick as relating to a spare tire. Shoulding run the slicks on the street, anyway.
Also take into consideration, the small wheel wells on the 64/65/66 Valiant/Cudas. You cannot use a tall tire with a large section width unless you open up the wheel wells, and/or move the springs in board.

Why do you have to have a compact tire of the same diameter? All the donuts I've ever seen are way smaller in diameter then the other tires. You could also do like I do and not carry a spare and just bring a tirepatch kit with you as well as a roadside emergency kit (with 12V compressor).

Good point.

BTW, the V8 LXs have a 28" compact spare.

i have 26 x10 slicks and 456s so i would run the 26s with the 430s it'll scoot

It's a \6 W 3.5" bore & 4 .175" stroke it ain't gonna twist much over 5500, 6000 tops.

The smallest diameter and narrowest tire that will hook, will be the fastest accelerating (less rotating mass, and lighter weight).
For 1/8 mile races I used to run a 3.91 gear with a 8 x 22 x 13 slick.
For quarter mile switched to a 6 x 26 x 15W slick.

I would not worry about the size of the slick as relating to a spare tire. Shoulding run the slicks on the street, anyway.
Also take into consideration, the small wheel wells on the 64/65/66 Valiant/Cudas. You cannot use a tall tire with a large section width unless you open up the wheel wells, and/or move the springs in board.

Not running slicks, running drag radials. It's not a track car, just a nasty little cruiser that will hit the strip now & then.

I want to give the stock Camaros, Mustangs & LXs a hard time.

Nearest track is 3 1/2 hours drive away.

I think I can slip 275/50R15 drag radials into the wheel wheels if I work on the quarter panels a little.

I'm leaning toward running 3.90s on 28.2" M&H Street/Strip 275/60 x 15 on the street, then switching to 26" M&H drag radial 275/50 x 15 for strip or occasional cruising to the local hotrod gatherings. The bigger street tires will help hold traction if I hit the button & throw another 125HP at it.

26" 185/75 x 15s on the front.

The taller rubber on the street will help W/drivability. It would be like a 3.55 on 26" rubber as far as effective FDR, it will look bada$$.

Dropping back to the 26" rubber will make te buzzin' half dozen wind up fast on the strip.

YOu can't run two different size tires with a posi rear. It will self destruct.

I've NEVER carried a spare in my classic cars for several reasons. ALso never had a flat. Get AAA or Hagerty Insurance.

I think 26" tires look a little small on the rear of A bodies. I prefer the look of a 27" like a 255/60/15 type tire.

28" would be my choice of the two in the poll.

I think 26" tires look a little small on the rear of A bodies. I prefer the look of a 27" like a 255/60/15 type tire.

28" would be my choice of the two in the poll.
wow then my 24'' must relay look bad? I know with 391 I could flat kick some butt!! I vote 26''

Good point.

BTW, the V8 LXs have a 28" compact spare
Cool, didn't that but I assume that would be due to the sure-grip differentials.
YOu can't run two different size tires with a posi rear. It will self destruct.

I've NEVER carried a spare in my classic cars for several reasons
Good point, I forgot he would most likely have a sure-grip. Care to share insight on why you don't carry spares?

In was able to hobble out to the barn & did some closer checking. It's hard for me to get around right now after total knee replacemnt surgury so bear with me.

I have about 11" tops from the spring to the outer fender. 275 series drag radials need about 12"

28" (radial) rubber is out of the question so it looks like 245/55R15 M&H Drag Radials will be on the rear.

26" diameter, 9" tread width, 9.9" section width.

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Drag-Radials?product_id=159

The smaller diameter tires will be better for acceleration anyway & I don't think the \6 will overload the traction capabilities of the smaller tires.

The OEM tires are smaller than 26" so it will still look good W/26" rubber all around.

Well that effectively settles this question.

I still wanna hear roccodart440's reasons for not carrying spares. I wanna know if there is some kind of advantage I've never thought of.

I run a 26" with 4.10 in my '66 Cuda 4spd. w/ a 273 Commando modified, 285hp...hooks good but 50mph is 3000rpms.

I run a 26" with 4.10 in my '66 Cuda 4spd. w/ a 273 Commando modified, 285hp...hooks good but 50mph is 3000rpms.

The car's not going to be a daily driver.

As long as my wife can drive it to 10 miles town W/O it stalling or acting up, it's "streetable" to me.

That would only be for emergency "livery" service,

Actually, W/the way the proposed engine build is going, I might go W/4.30s on the 26" rubber.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969972014&postcount=133

Short tires on the back of any a body visas don't look right to me. I've got 255-60-14 hoosiers and from most angles that big back window/slab sided area over powers the tires. That why I feel that the 68 SS b' cudas looked as good as any muscle car with those tall tires .

-
Back