4,500 dollars for a 8 & 3/4 .....?

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Had anyone heard of a Mickey Thompson rear end (peg) for 8 3/4 ? Fellow up my ways has one for sale and claims they used to use them back in the day on dragster. Because of the night H.P and weight of the Dana these were preferred, @ 60% weight loss, they were fur best thing. It actually had a front section that allowed you to tie it also on to the chassis.
Anyhow, my question is, does anyone know of these and are they worth it ?
Thanks.
MAPS

No clue, but Mickey Thompson was a serious innovator and genius. If it's legit, it's probably quite valuable. Can you get some pictures?

I've seen them. One Rick Ehrenburg had in the magazine and ran on the green brick. And one at a swap.

I don't remember if the one in the swap was over $1K. And I surely would have remembered if it was over $2K.

Ehrenberg said the cap would walk on the MT mag housing he had.

It is a rare and seldom seen piece. And when that happens people that really aren't motivated sellers will throw high prices hoping to fish hook a buyer.

Do some deep google searches and something might show up. Maybe the HAMB message board.

I've seen them. One Rick Ehrenburg had in the magazine and ran on the green brick. And one at a swap.

I don't remember if the one in the swap was over $1K. And I surely would have remembered if it was over $2K.

Ehrenberg said the cap would walk on the MT mag housing he had.

It is a rare and seldom seen piece. And when that happens people that really aren't motivated sellers will throw high prices hoping to fish hook a buyer.

Do some deep google searches and something might show up. Maybe the HAMB message board.

RRR
GIVE ME A FEW MINS AND I'LL GET YOU SOME PICS OF IT

Believe it or not, this was a complete hassle for me to get these pics loaded, uploaded, downloaded,
Posted or pasted.
I just hope they finally came across here...

MAPS

LIKE I SAID THE GUY IS ASKING 4,500 DOLLARS BUT IN USD THAT SHOULD BE AROUND 85 BUCKS WITH TODAY'S EXCHANGE LOL
ALL KIDDING ASIDE IN USD THAT SHOULD BE AROUND.. 3500 USD

BA0F001E-1DE7-4378-8B6F-9E6790A1C31B.jpeg

8D75A0DE-FA23-4AEA-AC1F-DA52C993AA6C.jpeg

C1EBAB35-96FE-43E7-8815-20D2B5F1949A.jpeg

42D88A00-5295-4EB7-AF35-419B8925060B.jpeg

A79A8958-ADA8-46C1-B603-BDE47778798B.jpeg

Auto X Cuda.

Don't know if my Google is out of sync, I can't seem to find any for sale there... But this one is for sale

Auto X Cuda.

Don't know if my Google is out of sync, I can't seem to find any for sale there... But this one is for sale
ANY OF U GUYS WONDER WHAY THEIR STILL NOT USED ?!

This is one of those rare as hens teeth moments. I would imagine the only way to see how tough it is is to install it and beat on it.... It's so cool and so rare how would put a dollar amount on it and do you even use the damn thing???

My 489 drop in Center section with Eaton Trac loc from Dr Diff was $1700.00 by the time i saw it. I dont think anybody makes an aluminum center section for a Mopar do they?

My 489 drop in Center section with Eaton Trac loc from Dr Diff was $1700.00 by the time i saw it. I dont think anybody makes an aluminum center section for a Mopar do they?

Yes. MP does/did. $$$ I think $500- $750

There is one for sale now.

ANY OF U GUYS WONDER WHAY THEIR STILL NOT USED ?!

Dragsters evolved and moved onto to different rears. I think there was a Pontiac/Olds Magnesium dropout too. That was the era of these: late 50's early 60's.

The Dana 60 in Mopars didn't come out till 1967.

Sorry, the next $4500 won’t be for a singular part like that. I don’t care who’s magic wrench was in it.

Sorry, the next $4500 won’t be for a singular part like that. I don’t care who’s magic wrench was in it.

That's the bottom line. It's not going to make your car $4500 , $3500, or even $1000 faster.

And for cool factor: you can't even see it behind the car looking underneath like a Dana.

...and you can buy an aluminum centered Dana way cheaper than this. Probably close to doing a 8 3/4 adding the cost of the MP aluminum case.

Last edited:
The "new" aluminum Mopar 8 3/4" 742 cases are a bit over $1000.00, if the source listing is correct. Ebay has some for almost $2000.00! With the newer design technology and through-bolt caps, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the newer ones are much stronger that the M/T versions. I would think that the M/T worth is more about rarity/nostalgia rather than strength/practicality/reliability. Remember, they were usually used in lightweight dragsters that probably didn't hook as well as vehicles do these days.

I know someone who may have some used aluminum Mopar Performance case assemblies for sale later this year. :rolleyes:

Is the M/T 8 3/4" aluminum or magnesium? How can you tell?

Last edited:
The "new" aluminum Mopar 8 3/4" 742 cases are a bit over $1000.00. With the newer design technology and through-bolt caps, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the newer ones are much stronger that the M/T versions. I would think that the M/T worth is more about rarity/nostalgia rather than strength. Remember, they were usually used in lightweight dragsters that probably didn't hook as well as vehicles do these days.

I know someone who may have some used aluminum Mopar Performance case assemblies for sale later this year. :rolleyes:

Very cool.

The MP case didn't start at $1K when they fist came out. but like many MP parts they upped the prices big time.

I searched: magnesium mopar rear end

What did you search google with, MAPS ????

How to Build the Right Period-Correct Pontiac/Olds Rearend for your Gasser

This result popped up just after the searched showed the Kiiji ad for the Mag rear you are talking about

Technical - Mickey Thompson rear carrier

Mickey Thompson magnesium Mopar 8.75 3rd member posi | Transmission & Drivetrain | Winnipeg | Kijiji

Here's that rear end for sale that was also listed here on FABO. He probably more than this in parts and labor purchases. But it's used race parts and he's not quite factoring that in. And you can see why a new strange Dana starts looking like a viable alternative to throwing big $$ at a 8.75.

Mopar Aluminum Strange A Body Racing 8 3/4 Rearend for sale in ESCONDIDO, CA, Price: $2500

Last edited:
That's purdy dang cool. Thanks for posting pictures. Never seen one.

That case belongs to a guy here in Winnipeg, about the only reason to have it would be if you are building a nostalgia drag car.... or your claim to fame is owning the worlds most expensive 8 3/4

That case belongs to a guy here in Winnipeg, about the only reason to have it would be if you are building a nostalgia drag car.... or your claim to fame is owning the worlds most expensive 8 3/4

Is he a buy and sells parts guy?

He always has lots of stuff on kijiji for sale, I don’t think he is a flipper more just selling of stuff he has.

Rumble Fish...
10-4 I agree with you on that.

I searched: magnesium mopar rear end

What did you search google with, MAPS ????

How to Build the Right Period-Correct Pontiac/Olds Rearend for your Gasser

This result popped up just after the searched showed the Kiiji ad for the Mag rear you are talking about

Technical - Mickey Thompson rear carrier

Mickey Thompson magnesium Mopar 8.75 3rd member posi | Transmission & Drivetrain | Winnipeg | Kijiji

Here's that rear end for sale that was also listed here on FABO. He probably more than this in parts and labor purchases. But it's used race parts and he's not quite factoring that in. And you can see why a new strange Dana starts looking like a viable alternative to throwing big $$ at a 8.75.

Mopar Aluminum Strange A Body Racing 8 3/4 Rearend for sale in ESCONDIDO, CA, Price: $2500[/

Auto X Cuda

I wasn't putting " magnesium " in the search and I couldn't find it thru Google but I knew he also had it on Kijiji and just used the pics from there
But I'm not too keen on memorabilia things when it comes to " night being original " so I don't really care for a diff of such magnitude. Regardless, magnesium, metal or mythical.
All in all makes for good conversation, at best.
Time to feed the dawgs gentlemen.
Talk later
MAPS

P.S. Even the dogs don't care about the diff.... (and that's almost 70 opinions, not including pups)

-
Back