4 degrees off

-
I'd use the Adv. position on the crank gear personally. Should be the triangle marked keyway if I recall properly.

I use a timing set with a bunch of keyways and it's done by moving the crank gear. Depending on what you have for a timing set you may use the crank keyway, an offset crank key, the cam keyway, or an offset cam key. It really doesn't matter so long as it get's to the right position and stays there.

If the crank gear has more than 1 keyway it's there to adjust the cam timing. If it's a crank gear with 3 keyways there's 4 retard, zero, and 4 advance. Use the 4 advance and you should be ok. If for some odd reason it doesn't come out ok you need a 2 degree advance key, not a 4 degree advance key. Reason being the cam rotates half the speed of the crankshaft (that's why the crank gear has 1/2 teeth the cam gear has) so a 2 degree movement of the cam equals a 4 degree move at the crank.

I'd use the Adv. position on the crank gear personally. Should be the triangle marked keyway if I recall properly.
so you line up the triangle with the dot on the cam gear?

Yes. Line up the mark you slid on the keyway with the associated mark on the gear with the dot on the cam sprocket.

I've seen people put these on, put it on the triangle keyway and line up the the "O" with the cam sprocket. Bottom line is your shouldn't have to twist the crank but a couple of degrees either way to get alignment. Doing what the others I've seen requires turning the crank 120*... BAD!!!

If the crank keyway isn't at about 45* or 1:30 position when you have it on and lined up... SOMETHING IS WRONG!

I don't like using crank offset keys... it screws with the timing marks.

thanks,i will use the triangle mark.it should wake it up a bit.i thought it felt a little lazy before.:prayer: cracked still laughing i know nothing! you must be as old as me.....

-
Back