4 Door FamilyHauler

-

FamilyHauler

Reaction score
New member here with an itch I finally need to scratch. This idea goes back to when I was 16 and looking for my first car, but has gone through multiple iterations as life goes on. But one thing as always stayed the same, the itch to build something from the 60 or 70s.

Being that I wasn't born in the 60s and didn't get to take advantage of the dime of dozen muscle cars era in the 80s, I'm left with few options to choose from without paying an arm and a leg. Plus, I know I won't get the satisfaction of buying a restored car that someone else put all the effort in to building. That leaves me with rust buckets, trucks, and 4 doors. I'm not afraid of bodywork and rust is a given, due to area I live in with how old some of these cars are, but 2 doors and single cab trucks just won't work for me any more. See I have a wife, that doesn't understand my obsession with old cars, and a daughter. I want to be able haul them around to show them why I go crazy when I see an old Mopar, Chevy, or Ford cruising on the road. That leaves me with one option that seems to tick all the boxes of what I'm looking for. It's a four door!

I'm gearing up to buy a four door dart or valiant. I've been finding examples on the surrounding areas on Facebook Marketplace, that fit my budget and what I'm looking to accomplish. Right now, I'm eyeing up a 74 Dodge Dart with a 318 that is priced well within my budget that would allow me to cruise around with the family while I plan out and gather parts for whatever direction I plan to take this build.

That's my spiel, I joined because I read through this forum as guest and noticed there's a ton of knowledge and the members are willing to help others out with their questions. Ultimately, I'll have a ton of questions whenever I finally buy my project, so I figured I'd introduce myself now. But until then, I'll continue searching for my four door project and be sure to start a build thread when that day comes.

Thanks,

FamilyHauler

Welcome!!!!!

More doors make great family haulers as you say! My advice is find as clean and rust free and complete as you can. Pay some more for a complete and better candidate. Buying something that did not live in the rust belt would be worth considering. 4 door cars were low power "granny" cars and not abused IF they did not spend time time running the salt. If you luck up, the might find a really nice 4 door driver someone else has spent the $$$ on and work, and buy it for pennies on the $. Just a thought. Then make it "yours".

IMG_5971.jpeg

Welcome Aboard.

Plenty Moredoors out there. Glad you have a passion for it... it'll get you past the hard times

Post some pictures when you find a candidate.

Hope you can make Carlisle

Welcome aboard! :canada: Before buying from Bookface, ask opinions here if you like just to be safe. Chk out the classifieds here as well.
Cheers
Steve

Welcome Aboard.

Plenty Moredoors out there. Glad you have a passion for it... it'll get you past the hard times

Post some pictures when you find a candidate.

Hope you can make Carlisle
I plan on going this year. Have been talking about going for years, but we always seem to have plans that weekend.

Welcome!!!!!

More doors make great family haulers as you say! My advice is find as clean and rust free and complete as you can. Pay some more for a complete and better candidate. Buying something that did not live in the rust belt would be worth considering. 4 door cars were low power "granny" cars and not abused IF they did not spend time time running the salt. If you luck up, the might find a really nice 4 door driver someone else has spent the $$$ on and work, and buy it for pennies on the $. Just a thought. Then make it "yours".
That's kind of my idea. I'm looking for something that I can drive while I plan out my build and gather parts. Trouble with finding something outside the rust belt is finding time to go pick it up. Never have enough time.

That's kind of my idea. I'm looking for something that I can drive while I plan out my build and gather parts. Trouble with finding something outside the rust belt is finding time to go pick it up. Never have enough time.
I have bought some projects over the phone over the years, always risky even when you know what and how to ask good questions. This was back before the puter and people mailed pics and ,many were actually HONEST! Shipping ain't cheap.
If you have never restored an old car, remember they are 50-60 years old, all will have at least some rust and all will have dings or worse.
I know this. 99% of all 4 doors are way overpriced. They will not bring those idiot ask prices. IMHO

I always say a 4 door can do anything a 2 door can.
I have had many. This was one. Good luck with your search.:thumbsup:

IMG_0181.jpg

:welcome: from :canada:

Lots of good people here and many of them are fond of the "more door" cars. I've owned pretty much everything over the last 45+ years, including station wagons. As others have already stated, buy the best car that you can afford and try to avoid the rust buckets, you'll be much happier in the long run.
Good luck in your search and let us know how it goes.

Been a mopar guy since the 80s, but have always wanted a 55 or 6 Chevy. Time is running out for me. I would buy a 55 more door project, BUT I can't make myself want to pay that $$$$!!! they ask around here!!!

-
Back