4-Door with 340 from the factory?

-
Exactly. You can tell when something has a ring of truth. Most of the time I just nod and say "uh huh". LOL
So what exactly is the fender tag code that specifically called-out the closed-chamber Slanty head from the Assburn/Rollvarry You now posses?? Or does it not really exist??

Guy in our club has a 273-2bbl 4-SPD 4-door Dart.

Last edited:
So what exactly is the fender tag code that specifically called-out the closed-chamber Slanty head from the Assburn/Rollvarry You now posses?? Or does it not really exist??
According to Doug Dutra, they were a prototype head. I think he said there were like five made. And of course, he has one, too. lol Being a prototype, I'm not sure there'd ever have been any code given to them. He said the one I found should never have made it on a production vehicle, but they pulled it of an Aspen. At least that was the story.

Here’s something I wonder. Did guys at the factory ever use wrong parts on purpose. For example. At the engine plant. It’s 318 day. A worker grabs a 340 cam just because he wants to randomly put a hot 318 out there just for kicks….
I’d be tempted to.

According to Doug Dutra, they were a prototype head. I think he said there were like five made. And of course, he has one, too. lol Being a prototype, I'm not sure there'd ever have been any code given to them. He said the one I found should never have made it on a production vehicle, but they pulled it of an Aspen. At least that was the story.
Sure sure, wink wink, lol!:poke:

15 or so years ago I put buckets, console, floor shift steering column, thermoquad and matching air cleaner, dual exhaust, chrome 340 tips and 340 fender emblems on my 75 Dart 4 door.

You wouldn't believe how many people said "wow, what a rare car". I just said yep and walked away, LOL.

Sure sure, wink wink, lol!:poke:
There's you a picture.
035.jpg

i'm still waiting for the 273 sunbeam tiger story. would love to hear all about it

Used car dealers have been known to swap parts around to make an extra buck.

I looked the Monteverdi wiki page and it doesn't look like any 340 cars.
They ran big blocks in 375 series cars.
The SUV Sierra model came with: 318, IH 345, or 440.
The Volare based cars were 318's.

Monteverdi (automobile) - Wikipedia

No, Monteverdis never got the 340.

But we can stay in Switzerland:

There was one 'factory' built Dodge Dart 4 door coming out of the Swiss AMAG assembly plant in Schinznach (High quality Swiss made A - Bodies).

The story behind this unique car is strange - in Schinznach the cars were transported on car carriers between the different production sites and one day - as far I know in 1969 - a nearly finished 340 Barracuda fell from the carrier. The car was completely damaged - but the drivetrain was still ok.

In Schinznach were mostly 4 door Valiants and 4 door Darts built, and they used this 340/727 drivetrain for a 4 door Dart. This unique Dart runs in the 70s as taxi cab in Zürich and was well known...

amag-factory-jpg.jpg

57_autotransporter-jpg.jpg

I was just poking around the various Mopar sites and came across this. If there is any correct answer to this question, it should have an answer somewhere on this site.
I was always of the opinion that the 340 was only ever offered in two door Mopars but.. Chrysler did some strange things back in the day including putting Hemi's in 4-doors and apparently station wagons. What say you??

69, 70 4 door dart with factory 340
When I was station in Europe a friend of mine ordered a 70 Dart four door with a 340 motor and auto transmission, thru Chrysler Military Sales at the Base Exchange in Crete. It was delivered to Bremerhaven, Germany a few months later. He flew to Frankfort and took the duty train to Bremerhaven to pick the car up and drove it back to Greece, and ferry to the island of Crete. Great car, lots of power, the Greeks loved it !!!!

I have no doubt that there were some odd combinations that could have seen the light of day in the 60s and 70s. Not just from Chrysler, but any of the big 3. I knew of a 1966 Ford Custom 500 4 door sedan that was factory ordered with a 428 police interceptor and a 4 speed. Saw that car hundreds of times, it was a few blocks from my house. It was ordered that way originally because the owner lived in an area of mountains and wanted something that had plenty of power. It was passed to his son when he lost his sight at 77 years old. The son used it as a daily driver for years until it was totaled in a collision. I tried to buy it dozens of times but no luck. I have seen pictures of a 1970 or 71 Torino station wagon, also factory ordered with a 429 4 speed. Have been told about a number of GMs that were similarly ordered, but have only seen a couple. They are out there, or at least they were.
So True... strange things happened in the 60's. My elderly neighbor bought new in around 1963 a Chevy station wagon, with a 409 4bbl or (duel 4bbl, that her son told me it was) I seen the car, being my neighbor, but never looked deep into it. I do know people were always stopping by to buy it, so there must be something to it. She did sale it around 2000. I believe anything was possible back in the day, but would it be considered a factory production, or an aftermarket add on, if someone other than the factory installed something including a dealer?

Does a boat count? They used the 340 engine in boats, but then I guess it would be a no door model.
what dose the vin say . the vin will tell u is th 340 was the motor that was put in it when it was new a slant 6 or 318 was in most in the later years i seen a few 360's

Hey guys, what about the Dodge Little Red Wagon pick ups? Didn’t they have 340’s the first year or two before they went to the 360’s?

The Warlock had 5 engine options and 4x4. The Little Red Express was 360 and 2 wheel drive only.

-
Back