4 dr anyone?

-

Lostsheep_01

SLANTASTIC!
Reaction score
I am just posting because I'm frustrated. My dad and brother are laughing at me that I want to speed up my '71 4 dr Dart. I'm not going overboard yet, just make the Slant a little faster. Down the road, I'd like to stick a 360 in it. I'm still going through with my plans but it's just frustrating when you have to listen to nay-sayers. I keep looking on this site for someone else with a 4 dr that they've done something to but haven't found any. I know 4 drs are less desireable, but I figured there'd be at least one other person like me out there! Rant off.

There isnt anything wrong with a 4dr man. I would love to find an early 60s 4dr Impala or Bel-Air and make it into a screamer. Lower it and suicide the rear doors, throw in a big block and back it with a clutch. Just cause its a 4 door doesnt mean its slow either. There was an article in Mopar Action I believe where back in 66 there was two 426 hemi 4 door cars built. So by no means does a 4 door mean slow or ugly. Just something new to the table. Build it to your dreams and let the good times roll!

Hey, old mopar 4 door cars are cool too! I used to have a 1969 Dart 4dr with a 225, clifford intake, 390 holley 4 barrel and split headers with dual exhaust! It was no race car but it could still beat Shivvy Monte Carlo's with 305 and 350 engines! I had Rocket mags on it, car only had 53,000 miles, no rust, looked sharp. I sold it, wish I didn't. Stick with your plans, then blow their doors off with your "4-door" Dart! Good luck, Keith. :burnout:

as a fellow 4DR'r i applaud you holding tough!!! :thumbup:
it's not easy to have others poo-poo your ideas...and as for slow...
i dunno much but isn't it the motor/tranny that makes it fast not the
numbers of doors....
i see wagons in the strip pics a bit, and they are bigger/more than 4DR..

here's how i see it...YOUR CAR YOUR VISION.

as for me, i got a blistering 225....going to the other side of racing... economical.

it's your car, do what YOU want to it....then kick their @$$ when it's done.

blind's 2 cents.

P.S. ain't done much to mine yet, but i am long term.

Dude, it doesn't matter what other people think, if you like it, run it. Believe me I know I was once a Buick guy and you want to talk about people giving you the business. I heard it all... is that your grandmothers car? etc.

Chuck

ah sorry guys I forgot to say that I do also like the Mopar 4 dr cars, but I just came home and passed the Impala I tried to get 4 years ago with the answer, "We are going to restore it one day," bunch of BS. I wouldnt mind having an early Valient, love the front ends on them.

BoredandStroked said:
There isnt anything wrong with a 4dr man. I would love to find an early 60s 4dr Impala or Bel-Air and make it into a screamer. Lower it and suicide the rear doors, throw in a big block and back it with a clutch. Just cause its a 4 door doesnt mean its slow either. There was an article in Mopar Action I believe where back in 66 there was two 426 hemi 4 door cars built. So by no means does a 4 door mean slow or ugly. Just something new to the table. Build it to your dreams and let the good times roll!
Not a thing wrong with 4dr's...remember back in school a buddy took a 65 4dr Bel-Air , pulled the 6 cyl and put a real healthy 327 in it and just kicked everyones butt... pretty wild for someone that was 17 at the time...

I have a fun 4-door. 225 /6, 30 over, 9.8:1, clifford 4bbl intake and headers, 465cfm holley, 8 3/4 w/ 3.23SG(I put 3.91's for racing), Van 999 w/ shift improver and low gearset. Do what you want with your ride. my brother in law wanted me to put a V8 in it, he is amazed with how this little slant runs. It is quicker then the 302 maveric he had in highschool
MVC-005F.JPG

I read an article a few years ago that sad not to over look the 4 drs. It is getting harder to find the 2 doors, so people are building the 4 door cars. Nothing wrong with that. Heck I crusied around a 65 Dart 4 door for awhile. Plus sold a guy on Moparstyle a 4 door 69 Dart. He has some big plans for it. So, don't worry about what othere say. Build it the way you want it and enjoy

Thanks for all the support and stories. I don't know what the complete future holds for my Dart, but I'm gonna have fun driving it and making it into what I want!

Not a thing wrong with 4dr's...remember back in school a buddy took a 65 4dr Bel-Air , pulled the 6 cyl and put a real healthy 327 in it and just kicked everyones butt... pretty wild for someone that was 17 at the time...

Haha, is this relating to my idea of an early 60s Bel-Air or that I am 17 also (18 in a week but yea)?

Hey there, nothing wrong with a 4 door!! I have a 1968 Dart 4-door that was an original slant 6 auto. I have added schumacher motor mounts, TTIheaders, 1968 383 HP Engine, 4 speed, 8 3/4 with 3.23 sure grip, disc brakes, new rear springs, new front big block torsion bars, 14x 5.5 rims with the dog dish hubcaps, and the stock bench seat interior!! I fly home in a couple weeks to pick up the fresh motor from the machine shop. I should have the motor in the same weekend!! This should be a fun cruiser!! I can not wait to see the looks on the faces of those people when I drop the clutch at the track this spring!!

shoe this to them
I would do a 4 door in a minute :thumbup:

65dart.jpg

Mousetrap-copy.jpg

1967_VC_Valiant_Engine_Bay_023.jpg

4-doors are great, like this one, it was a slant six car, now 383...

NitroNats-06785.jpg

It is my wife's car, she also do racing with the Valiant...

I like slant six , but my wife doesn't want to drive my Dart, she says it is way too slow :toothy7:

People overlooked wagons for a long time too.I've seen some wicked lookin' wagons over the last few years.Don't give up on your 4dr!

jd340 said:
People overlooked wagons for a long time too.I've seen some wicked lookin' wagons over the last few years.Don't give up on your 4dr!

I have to agree with you on the wagons. There is one that runs on the track close to here. /6 and runs in the high 10's. I was surprised the first time I saw it run, it turned 11.33 in the 1/4. Same as some of the bb darts and Valiants.

Im restoring a 73 dart 4 door with a 318, ive heard it from some people too, but its better than what they got, cause they dont have an old car, mine only has 59,000 original miles, just got it painted last week, plymouth prowler purple metalic, i like it a lot

I know what I'd do if I had a 4 door dart, SLEEPER. Then I'd go kick Leo's butt. So call me crazy, hold it, actually they used to.

Terry :burnout:

Four doors are not for me but that is my personal taste. Key word being personal. Isn't that what being a car guy is all about? Build it the way you want it. It is your personal car, no one elses. It is nice to see a well done "different" car once in a while. You may even be the inspiration for someone else that has a four door but is afraid to fix it up because of someone giving them a hard time. GO FOR IT!!

Another thought: I just spent alot of time, and money, converting my 74 Duster to a V-8. My brother commented "when you get a real car you can show me something" implying that a 1974 is not a real muscle car. A lot of people think muscle cars have to be older than 1971/1972 at the latest. All I know is when I turned the key and fired up my new motor it was a great feeling and I am very happy.

19duster74 said:
Another thought: I just spent alot of time, and money, converting my 74 Duster to a V-8. My brother commented "when you get a real car you can show me something" implying that a 1974 is not a real muscle car. A lot of people think muscle cars have to be older than 1971/1972 at the latest. All I know is when I turned the key and fired up my new motor it was a great feeling and I am very happy.

there are cool aspens and volares, a 74 duster is deffinately a muscle car. id say 75% of muscle cars in the area wouldnt even line up with my 74 duster. the 70-72 are lighter, but the 73 and up are still a great looking car

I wish I could find a pic of him, a friend of mine has a '68 4 door Dart with a 440 on the sauce running 6.40's in the 1/8th. Yes, 4 door hot rods are cool too.

My first Mopar is a 67 dart 4-door. Yeah, I still get the typical, "too bad its not a 2-door" but it has 68K original miles with a 318 and A/C. I paid just over a grand for it and I wouldn't trade it for a 2-door....Its just much easier loading and unloading stuff and passengers without having to squeeze past the front seat...

Will it ever have the value of a 2-door? I seriously doubt it...But I bought it to drive and not as an investment....(As if a 40 year old vehicle will not need a little $$ now and then.......

-
Back