4 Headlights or 2 Headlights; opinions needed.

-

Sir Ken

Reaction score
Thinking, since I have lots of free time, making my 1969 Valiant a 4 headlight front end.

I know it's ultimately my choice but do people make this alteration?

Not my car, just a good pic of what I am talking about.

Wouldn't take much to move the front turn/marker lights closer to the center. I would either adapt another 4 bulb Mopar headlights setup or abs print a new headlight surround to match the original headlight surround.

Plymouth Valiant Signet Pic 1969.jpg

Valiant 4 Bulb Headlights.jpg

It does have a monaro vibe, but id stick with two. Takes up too much real estate

Unless….. pipe in cool air to carb!

Here's a factory 4-headlamp '70 Valiant, and here's a '69, and here's another '69. These are Australian cars. The reason why they look less unlikely than the photoshopped US '69 is because the real quad system uses 5-3/4" diameter headlamps, not the bigger 7" diameter ones of the 2-lamp system.

@Sir Ken, Would I do it to my car? No. I like the 2 headlight look on my 69 Barracuda. That being said, I rather like your idea. I think people should do what they want to do to their cars. If I saw it at a car show, I would be very interested to talk to you about it. How you did it, what parts and techniques you used, etc. I was at a car show once, and a guy was there with what they call a high boy. It was an Oldsmobile Cutlass with a flashy paint job and, if I remember right, 24" rims. It was very tastefully done, and I liked it a lot. I talked to the guy for at least 20 minutes. He asked me if I had a car at the show, and we went to my car and talked about it for a while. I think modifications like the one you suggest look good as long as they are nicely done. It is always interesting to look at a car that has a modification that was so smoothly done, that it looks like something the factory did.
And @joel d. snyder, although it does somewhat resemble a Studebaker Lark, this is what I think of when I think of a Studebaker.
PH to be.jpg

The four headlights were more popular across the pond. Ask a North American and they'll likely answer two because its not the norm to our eyes. As others have said, it's your car not ours. Do what you want.

You do that and someone at a gas station will say, "I had one just like that with the 4 headlights and everything!"

Thinking, since I have lots of free time, making my 1969 Valiant a 4 headlight front end.

I know it's ultimately my choice but do people make this alteration?

Not my car, just a good pic of what I am talking about.

Wouldn't take much to move the front turn/marker lights closer to the center. I would either adapt another 4 bulb Mopar headlights setup or abs print a new headlight surround to match the original headlight surround.

Why? KISS principle. Keep It Simple

Normally you can get more light out of the same wattage filament by using a larger reflector. I discovered this way way back when we used landing lights. 4537's used to be less than 4 bucks in the 70's, and you could modify them (PAR46) to fit quad lamp setups.

There were 3 similar lamps, PAR36, the 46, and the 56. All three used 100W filaments, but the light output was a bunch more for the larger PAR56 (Same as larger single headlamps)

-
Back