4 Headlights or 2 Headlights; opinions needed.

-

Sir Ken

Reaction score
Thinking, since I have lots of free time, making my 1969 Valiant a 4 headlight front end.

I know it's ultimately my choice but do people make this alteration?

Not my car, just a good pic of what I am talking about.

Wouldn't take much to move the front turn/marker lights closer to the center. I would either adapt another 4 bulb Mopar headlights setup or abs print a new headlight surround to match the original headlight surround.

Plymouth Valiant Signet Pic 1969.jpg

Valiant 4 Bulb Headlights.jpg

It does have a monaro vibe, but id stick with two. Takes up too much real estate

Unless….. pipe in cool air to carb!

Here's a factory 4-headlamp '70 Valiant, and here's a '69, and here's another '69. These are Australian cars. The reason why they look less unlikely than the photoshopped US '69 is because the real quad system uses 5-3/4" diameter headlamps, not the bigger 7" diameter ones of the 2-lamp system.

@Sir Ken, Would I do it to my car? No. I like the 2 headlight look on my 69 Barracuda. That being said, I rather like your idea. I think people should do what they want to do to their cars. If I saw it at a car show, I would be very interested to talk to you about it. How you did it, what parts and techniques you used, etc. I was at a car show once, and a guy was there with what they call a high boy. It was an Oldsmobile Cutlass with a flashy paint job and, if I remember right, 24" rims. It was very tastefully done, and I liked it a lot. I talked to the guy for at least 20 minutes. He asked me if I had a car at the show, and we went to my car and talked about it for a while. I think modifications like the one you suggest look good as long as they are nicely done. It is always interesting to look at a car that has a modification that was so smoothly done, that it looks like something the factory did.
And @joel d. snyder, although it does somewhat resemble a Studebaker Lark, this is what I think of when I think of a Studebaker.
PH to be.jpg

The four headlights were more popular across the pond. Ask a North American and they'll likely answer two because its not the norm to our eyes. As others have said, it's your car not ours. Do what you want.

Kinda has a Roadrunner vibe . Doesn’t bother me. Lotta work though for something most wont notice at first glance .

You do that and someone at a gas station will say, "I had one just like that with the 4 headlights and everything!"

Thinking, since I have lots of free time, making my 1969 Valiant a 4 headlight front end.

I know it's ultimately my choice but do people make this alteration?

Not my car, just a good pic of what I am talking about.

Wouldn't take much to move the front turn/marker lights closer to the center. I would either adapt another 4 bulb Mopar headlights setup or abs print a new headlight surround to match the original headlight surround.

Why? KISS principle. Keep It Simple

Normally you can get more light out of the same wattage filament by using a larger reflector. I discovered this way way back when we used landing lights. 4537's used to be less than 4 bucks in the 70's, and you could modify them (PAR46) to fit quad lamp setups.

There were 3 similar lamps, PAR36, the 46, and the 56. All three used 100W filaments, but the light output was a bunch more for the larger PAR56 (Same as larger single headlamps)

I think the American 69 Valiant has one of the best looking front ends and grilles of any A body and I wouldn't do a thing to eff it up if I had one.

Last edited:
-
Back