4 link dana 60 questions

-

71cuda1990

Reaction score
So I know it's been a long time since I was on here, been really busy and sometimes it's hard to find time to do everything you want. But I digress. I'm actually building a truck for drag racing. '93 Ram 1500 dropped 4 linked with an eventual stroked 440 to about 540ish cubes, max wedge heads. Shooting for 800ish HP with a possibility of a 200 shot of nitrous later down the road if I get bored with 800HP:toothy8: My issue is this. I was cutting the Dana 60 rear diff. housing for narrowing and installing the 4 link brackets and while measuring I noticed the pinion is offset about an inch. Now, do I cut more out of one axle tube to center it because I'm building a ground up drivetrain or do I leave it offset? This is probably a dumb question that I should know but this is the first time I've built a vehicle this extensively so.... I'm thinking leave it offset because if I centered it then I would have different length axles. Anyhow like I said probably a dumb question but I want to make sure. Thanks.

I would leave it offset. That inch will help with driver weight and in some smaller cars space for the driver too. Ours was offset at least that much.

Ya that's what I was thinking. I know some drivetrains were built offset to counter the weight of the driver. I'll leave it offset.

Check to see how much offset the extension housing has at the slip yoke and make it equal to that.

I would say it would not matter. You will have to scale the truck anyway to set the 4 link up and the driver weight then will be dialed into the suspension.

-
Back