4 Link or springs

-

AnotherA

Reaction score
Working on my build plan and could use some input.

I'm going to be mini tubbing the dart and while i'm at it was looking at redoing the suspension in the rear.

Ballpark numbers.
Triangulate 4 link and coil overs for ~ $1000
Leaf relocation parts, new springs, sway bar for ~ $850

Waiting to hear back from Ridetech, asked them a couple questions about their triangulated air4link.

I want to bring the ride height down about 2-3 inches.

What am i missing expense wise?
Will the triangulated 4 link get me anything that a new leaf spring setup wouldn't?

I am just envisioning myself a year down the road looking at the car going, man for the same price I could just as well put the 4 link in it.

Sorry for the shotgun pattern of questions. Wife is breathing down my neck to leave for a Christmas party.

I don't think anybody onthis planet can give you an accurate answer without knowing what in the hell you wanna do with the damned thing first. Hot street drag car? Leafs. Some kinda road race thingy? 4 link. The 4 link set up properly could be used for both, but SS cars have been runnin 8s on leafs for 40 years, so they work pretty good. But without knowin your intentions which you so conveniently left out, who in the hell knows?

Stroker is right... Got to know what the intention is. If your looking for good track performance look at Calvert Racing.

There springs, shocks, and cal tracs would be right in there cost wise.

I would have to say the Street Linx kit from RMS is an all around great performer...

15wgp44.jpg

Ok, I understand that I missed the intended use. I tossed the post out as my wife was dragging me out of the house.

Stroker, Maybe I'm interpreting your post wrong, but if I'm not you can cut the attitude BS.

Track time will be few and far between. Its going to be a weekend street pounder that i would like to be able to throw through some twisties.
Want a nice firm but not rigid ride, solid cornering with minimal body roll.

Working on my build plan and could use some input.

I'm going to be mini tubbing the dart and while i'm at it was looking at redoing the suspension in the rear.

Ballpark numbers.
Triangulate 4 link and coil overs for ~ $1000
Leaf relocation parts, new springs, sway bar for ~ $850

Waiting to hear back from Ridetech, asked them a couple questions about their triangulated air4link.

I want to bring the ride height down about 2-3 inches.

What am i missing expense wise?
Will the triangulated 4 link get me anything that a new leaf spring setup wouldn't?

I am just envisioning myself a year down the road looking at the car going, man for the same price I could just as well put the 4 link in it.

Sorry for the shotgun pattern of questions. Wife is breathing down my neck to leave for a Christmas party.

I think cost wise you are in the ball park. I am currently running 200 lb coils on the street and they are a little stiff. When I strip the car for paint and body I plan on swapping them out for a 150 lb spring. They should be pretty close. Did you have a chance to look at Mad Dart's 4-link thread? Looks like a great alternative.

Me and my chassis guy are building our own tri-4 link.. similar to RMS but beefier and with more adjustments.

You'd be amazed what well set up leaf springs can and will do, and the stock Chrysler arrangement is noted for being about the best design in the business. With the right shocks, springs, rear stabilizer bar, and possibly the addition of a panhard rod, you should be able to hang with just about anything.
I can guarrantee you, unless you are well versed in suspension design, properly setting up any kind of link rearend setup is going to be for more difficult, no matter what the springing media or who built it.

How's this for beefy?:thumblef: Mine is a Pro-street setup with urethane bushings. Didn't want to feel every pebble on the road.

Attachments

• 4link.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 622
  • 4link1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 545
How's this for beefy?:thumblef: Mine is a Pro-street setup with urethane bushings. Didn't want to feel every pebble on the road.
VERY NICE! Make your own panhard bar also?
I've looked at parting together a setup using Chris Alstons stuff also.

Street linx would be sweet but its way to expensive.

Stroker, Maybe I'm interpreting your post wrong, but if I'm not you can cut the attitude BS.

I simply meant we don't have a crystal ball to determine your intended use for the car. I was first to respond and I did give you good advice, regardless of what you think of it. I think in the future, I will just not respond to incomplete posts. That way, I can reduce my chances of running into another "A".

You'd be amazed what well set up leaf springs can and will do, and the stock Chrysler arrangement is noted for being about the best design in the business. With the right shocks, springs, rear stabilizer bar, and possibly the addition of a panhard rod, you should be able to hang with just about anything.
I can guarrantee you, unless you are well versed in suspension design, properly setting up any kind of link rearend setup is going to be for more difficult, no matter what the springing media or who built it.

Ditto! Also same for the front suspension. Before you spend tons of money have a look at all of the improvements available for stock front and rear mopar suspensions. Firmfeel is a great place to look.

VERY NICE! Make your own panhard bar also?
I've looked at parting together a setup using Chris Alstons stuff also.

Street linx would be sweet but its way to expensive.

Yep panhard bar. I don't really like the location of it against the frame rail. I am going to do something like this over next summer.

Attachments

• Alston 4 link.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 513
Is that a 9"? I thought about putting one in mine.

Yeah, it's what I had at the time. I would have preferred an 8 3/4, but I could not find one anywhere. It's a big bearing 9" that has been narrowed, custom axles, detroit locker and 3.89 gears. I have big plans down the road. :D

Attachments

• ride4.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 492
I wish I didn't already have my complete 8.75 with disc brakes LBP axles, etc... How pricey is that 9" tuff vs the 8.75?

I wish I didn't already have my complete 8.75 with disc brakes LBP axles, etc... How pricey is that 9" tuff vs the 8.75?

I also did disc brakes from an 8.8 for $40. I just had to modify the backing plates. I'm sure that you want to hear that lol. Parts aren't much cheaper new, just much more common, so used parts are cheaper and the gear selection is much bigger. We don't want to open the can of worms about which one is stronger.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hyjack.

Don't worry about it. Your giving me ideas.

-
Back