4 Speed 2nd Gear Question ?

-

cecil4speed

Reaction score
Good morning guys. I've noticed that second gear doesn't seem to be fully engaging. I mean that when you shift it doesn't feel like it is going in the whole way. So I unhooked the shifter and adjusted it, still the same. I unhooked the shifter again and shifted the transmission by hand and it is not going in second all the way. All the other gears are going in the whole way. Then last time I drove it I was coasting down a steep hill in second and it popped out. I can shift to second at high rpm ,quite fast, and doesn't seem to be any problem other than sometimes there is a slight grind. I was atributing that to me, but maybe this is a trans issue as well. I will take the trans apart, but I really don't have the time right now so I was wondering if someone could shed a little light on this for me. Has any body had this problem and what will I be looking for when I take it apart ? Thanks fellas.

Sounds like the synchronizer ring is split and hanging it up from completely going into gear.
It should be grinding when you try to shift, but sometimes they don't.
A teardown will be necessary.

Mark.

Sychro ring is probably damaged. Usually happens to 2nd or 3rd because of the amount of times it gets used. Replace with a new one when you get time.

hi another thought , is the side cover might not let the gear go in all the way.
they have a detent for the ball to ride in. also the comb might be hitting on the ball passage. I have had side covers I had to modify to get all way into gear. might be a syncro problem ,usually they grind. an old trick is to lay back the groove where the ball rides when in gear for to get it to go back in farther.just food forthought.

You know peracar I think this seems like more of my problem. It doesn't feel as if the lever is going the full throw and thus not allowing the the detent ball to seat or go in its place. But I don't know what you mean by the comb hitting. What is the comb? Also what do you mean by lay back the groove? Do you mean enlarge or inlongate the hole? Thanks.

Be sure to check that side cover and the detent mechanism. I've seen this before but every time it was a bent or twisted shift fork. The first-second syncro slider is a big heavy thing with half of reverse gear riding on it and it takes more force to power shift that 3-4. If a brass syncro blocker was busted, it would spread when applied and the cone clutching action would not occur, thereby preventing the matching of the gear speeds. It would not shift and if it did, it would really fuss at you! If it shifts, it's not the blocker ring. I broke a 1-2 shift fork at the strip in my Hemi Roadrunner. The originals were brass. Ronnie Sox and Jake King gave me the part numbers for new steel ones. I don't remember the numbers but you can get them from Jamie at Passon Performance. Google Passon Performance. By the way, are you using a Hurst Competition shifter with the "syncro lock" feature? These are two bolts with lock nuts fitted in the front and rear of the shifter body. They were designed to prevent over-running of the syncro slider. If the bolt is in too far, it will prevent full engagement in the tranny. Good luck, I hope this helps you.
Pat

I have had the same issue since owning my Dart. Jamie at Passon replaced second gear with several other internals, but it is still popping out of second when not under load. It feels just as you are describing, like it doesn't fully engage. I have tried adjusting the linkage several different ways, but have not found the answer yet. Very interested to hear if you ever figure out the issue.

First I am using a Hurst Competition shifter and I did not know that there were adjusting bolts on the shifter. I will check that out. Second, if that isn't the problem I am going to see if there is enough room to remove the side cover with the tranny in the car. I never checked. I want to check and see if maybe I do have a bent shift fork as suggested or mybe if there is something preventing the detent ball from going in its place. And thirdly since I am writing this I just remembered that it probably is not the shifter because I shifted the transmission from under the car with out the shifter hooked up and it still would not fully engage. So I guess it is internal. If I find the problem I will definitely post what I found. If I can't get the side cover off with the tranny in the car it will have to wait for a later date until I get 14 cord of wood chunked and split. This is fly season now so does anyone want to help me do this in the nice warm fly weather ???

-
Back