4 speed auto transmission

-
Reaction score
I have a 383 in my l972 Demon with a three speed auto transmission. I find when I am around 55 to 60 miles per hour I am at 3200rpm. Just seems to rev to high. I think I would like to move into a 4 speed auto. Where is the best place to find this transmission at the best pricing?

Few options for ya

Keisler's "kit" bolts a 4l60e and includes all the parts necessary to swap. $4000-$5000 bucks, said to be no tunnel mods. Electronically controlled trans, lots of adjustments possible and lots of parts come in their kit

Gear Vendors O/D replaces the tailshaft of your current 727. $2500ish and shortened driveshaft and some tunnel massaging required. Havent seen a real world example in an Abody. But these are bullet proof apparently

A518....heard good stuff about SMR trans for this swap. Probably the most metal massaging of the three. I talked to them about a trans couple years ago and it was $3K plus. You can do the junkyard crawl for these trans as well. O/D can be controlled by a toggle switch. Moparts has a couple good threads about this conversion.

The only problem running a A518 is the bellhousing is small block pattern only so it wouldn't work with your 383 without major modification. That being said your cheapest O.D. setup is probably the gear vendors add on O.D. unit.

The cheapest and easiest solution is to just change the rear gears. That's what I did. Went from 4:10 to 3:73 and rpm dropped 400 rpm at 60

The only problem running a A518 is the bellhousing is small block pattern only so it wouldn't work with your 383 without major modification. That being said your cheapest O.D. setup is probably the gear vendors add on O.D. unit.

The cheapest and easiest solution is to just change the rear gears. That's what I did. Went from 4:10 to 3:73 and rpm dropped 400 rpm at 60

SMR has an adapter for the B/RB.

Fitting the 518 in my 75 Dart required only cutting down the crossmember hoop in the tunnel (that connects the torsion boxes) and fabricating a new trans mount to give strength to lighter duty crossmember. I also added subframes to be sure everything stays in place. The tunnel itself IS physically large enough to fit the 518.

The Ultrabell replaces the existing bellhousing, so there's no setback of the trans. Campbell Enterprises
There's this thread too: A500 in a 1970 A Body
ultrabell.JPG

I am putting a 518 in my duster. I am using the ultra bell for the big block conversion. I paid $75 for a core and rebuilding it myself, I will have about $1500 in it ,including the ultra bell and upgraded parts. It is a non lockup and can use my 727 converter and shifter. Using PATC's kit that allows overdrive shifting automatically with pressure and vacuum switches.

Upgraded my planetaries, new ones on top. went to 5 and 6 pinion ones.

004.jpg

I know someone who put a 518 in a Lil Red and would have had to "adjust" the floor but just dropped the crossmember instead. Personally I wouldn't want to do it that way, cause it would lean the motor back, and leave the trans in a tail down attitude.

-
Back