4 speed console - any different to auto console?

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
I'm converting my 68 barracuda from auto to 4 speed. I have the console which originally came with the car. As far as I can tell from pics I've seen on the net (Im here in Australia so I dont have ready access to other US A bodies to see for myself) the console body is the same for auto and 4 speed applications (of course the top plate differs). Am I correct? Or is there some difference in the cut-out on the left side of the console to allow clearance for the shifter as it comes through the floor hump? Hope this all makes sense but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

There is a add on sheet metal hump section welded in for a 4 speed shifter. Aftermarket makes those if you need one. Thats the only difference. Console mounting bracket and locations are the same. That cut out in the console body is more for electrical service (auotmatic indicater lamp) than anything else.

Ah, thanks for the quick response Redfish yes, i've welded in a 4 speed hump (got it from brewers) and mounted the console as before, the thing I was not sure about was whether that opening was the same on auto and manual comsoles, which you've answered nicely.Thanks again.

And the 4 speed top plate is now reproduced and will bolt right to your auto console.

And the 4 speed top plate is now reproduced and will bolt right to your auto console.

Yeh, I see PG classics are now doing them, which is great. Only thing I'll need to do i obtain an old unwanted hurst 4 speed A body console shifter and modify it as my cuda is right hand drive.
Im thinking of simply welding on a B body shifter to the base of the A body unit where it is situated under the console opening.

-
Back