4 speed console verses non-console car

-

rayhandloser

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between a A body 4 speed shifter with a console verses a non-console A body car? Thanks. Ray

Can anyone tell me the difference between a A body 4 speed shifter with a console verses a non-console A body car? Thanks. Ray

You may want to clarify the question....

do you mean a 4spd consol VS a 4spd Floor shift car?
Vs a colum shift?
Vs auto?

If you are talking about the shifter handle itself, it jets over a couple inches on a consol cas when compared to a floor shift shifter.

A 4 speed shifter for a console car is completely different to a non-console shifter. Reason being that the console shifter has to "snake" across to the right and slightly forward from its mounting point in the shifter box, up and through the console opening and then back towards the driver. Non-console shifter of course does not have to negotiate a console and is relatively straight (compared to a console shifter).

So...you need a console style shifter to use in a console. You can get repops of the Hurst console shifter (68 and on, earlier were Inland) from Brewers, nice piece at $195 (I have one). See pic. Original Hurst console shifters are rare and fetch $400-500 on upay.

tsh055repro.jpg

There`s another alternative to the factory console shifter but equally as rare. Hurst made a Competition Plus shifter that had an acute angle allowing it to be used with a console. I had one in my 68 Barracuda but sold it when I went to another trans. Here it is installed:

vbpgimage.jpg

That`s a neat piece. It`s been a while since I dealt with an original shifter but aren`t they a "push in" fit shifter and not bolt in?

-
Back