4-speed conversion

-

74duster

Reaction score
I'm changing the 74 Duster from 6cyl 3-speed to big block 4-speed. It currently has column shift, so I will have to add a shifter hump. Is there a template available to locate the hump properly? What's the best way to do this?
Also, I have the 4-speed trans/bell housing that I'm going to use, but I've been told that my 6cyl zbar won't work with this setup. Is that correct? If so, I am in the market for those parts.

Just lay the hump over the exhisting floor hump and trace it , cut it inside of the outline you traced so you can adjust as needed for nice tight welds(it's easy). 6 cylinder Z-bars can be modified to work, ( I think they can be shortened on one end and then drilled out deeper to allow the freshly cut end to fit over the pivot ball stud as it originslly did). ask Dennis at Wilcat about the Z-bar modification 503-668-7786

74Duster, you didn't come out and say you had one already, but Sherman & Associates makes a fabulous four speed conversion panel. When I bought mine, it was only $99 and the quality's outstanding. (I have everything needed to convert my Fastback over except for the guts to cut a bigger hole in the floor of my rust free Spring Special LOL ... so I'm content with a reverse manual for now.) Here's a link if you want to check them out.

http://store.shermanparts.com/cgi-bin/sherman/index.html

Best of luck with the project!

-
Back