4-speed hump install

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I picked up a 4-speed hump that was cut out a 68 Barracuda that I want to use in my 68 Barracuda for the 4-speed conversion. My question is how much needs to be cut out in order to be able to use it?? Th guy I got it from only cut the hump part out and did not take any of the surrounding floor with it. Can I still use this and if so where do I mount/weld it to the excisting floor??

Thanks
Derrick

IMG_2039.JPG

I think the guy also cut off the flange that welds to the floor off. You should consider getting a repo. I do have a floor cutout that I will post pictures of.

clean it up and put it on the floor, it should kinda self locate. I then trace it out and cut an inch in. Care full to not cut your trans cross member. you can then weld the sucker in. What I like to do in the bottom is then roll the lip of the floor up and weld then seam seal it to insure no water can get in. (reason is so you don't cut your hand on the floor when adjusting the shift linkage)

The pics are F body but it's the same concept and the last one is from the bottom looking up

and yes it looks like the flange was cut off but it is still a usable part if you don't mind a little extra work

DCP_4356.jpg

DCP_4357.jpg

DCP_4361.jpg

DCP_4368.jpg

I agree the one you got looks a little butchered, you may be able to make it work but I would get a repro or find another used one.

If the hump is not bent up it will fall into place. The factory just stich welded it in every couple inches and then cut the floor out on both sides of the cross member with a torch. I've had a lot of factory 4spd cars and none of them looked the same around the hump, they actually look like a kid did it. I had one where the factory actually cut into the hump with the torch when they cut the floor out and it was filled with the seam sealer when they sealed the floor.

If your not sure about it, I would not weld it in till you have the shifter in place to make sure it goes through all the gears before you weld it in.

Here are the pictures of a floor cutout and some measurements. Not only is the flange missing but part of the cover is missing in the top front area.

P1040614.JPG

P1040617.JPG

P1040618.JPG

P1040619.JPG

P1040620.JPG

P1040621.JPG

P1040611.JPG

P1040612.JPG

P1040613.JPG

cut the floor out a little at a time,,install the tranny,and cut floor to fit,,making sure shifter and linkage have clearance,.

when you locate the hump for positioning,make sure you can get to the shifter mounting bolts,the top one wil be the hard one,at least it is in an early BARRACUDA,from under the car. ,position it properly,and add material to the new hump to close up any gaps,,

-
Back