4 speed linkage binding up

-

matthon

Reaction score
I replaced the bushings and such in the Z bar, verified it is the correct Z bar, and made sure everything is adjusted correctly.

The rod from the pedal to the Z bar looks way out of whack. On the Z bar side it appears to be a little off alignment, if I grabbed it from the pedal side and moved it a little to the driver side it looks like it would be aligned.

The pedal side looks like if I grabbed it from the Z bar side and moved it a little to the driver side it would align.

It is so far out of alignment on the pedal side that it looks like I need to flip the bar; the mounting hole is offset to one side. But, if I do that the Z bar side will be way out of alignment as that side actually bends toward the Z bar.

I've seen plenty of clutch pedals on A bodies that look like they are bent down a little, and mine looks similar, but not as bad.

Do I have the wrong bar going from the pedal to the Z bar?
Or is there something else going on here?

The bar actually goes right through the center of the firewall hole.

I need this car to drive for the next week while my truck is out of service.

Hey Matt, no experience with this, but looking at where the rod mounts in the 3rd and 4th pic,(the one with the spring) cant you undo the rod and flip it over?? Not end to end, but now so when you hook the rod up the inside part of the rod is on the outside and vice versa?? (Undo it and roll it 180*)?? Hope that makes sense.
Good luck

hi matthon
could you disconnect the arm that goes thru the firewall that connects to the z bar then disconnect the fork adjustment rod at the other end of the z bar.now align the first rod with the z bar then see if there is a different way to connect the clutch adjusting rod to the z bar. maybe flip over the adjusting rod to align things?
good luck

terry

Thank you both.

4spdragtop, that is what I was describing, poorly, if I flip it that way, the Z bar end cannot be connected at all. The way it is hooked up now to the Z bar it actually bends toward the passenger side to hook to the Z bar.
If I flip it, it will bend towards the driver side and come close to the inner fender, (away from the steering in the pic)- no were near the Z bar.
The grommet where the pedal bar comes out of the firewall shows the bend it makes to the Z bar.

terry, the clutch rod can only mount on one side of the Z bar, and the pedal bar on only one side of the Z bar as well- so it appears it forces any changes to be made to the pedal rod- yet that doesn't work either.

Here is the Z bar to clutch rod:

I'm stumped!

Hey Matt, is this a "new" setup?? The only thing I can think of is that maybe you got a 3spd setup or rod?? You said the z bar is correct, but I am wondering if the rod is wrong?? There is only 4 possible positions that rod can be mounted. Maybe someone can measure their rod??LOL!!!and measure the bend in it, like the blade of a hockey stick??

Its an original 4 speed car, with the correct: Z bar, bellhousing, and pivot brackets- which are specific to the BB.
The clutch fork rod appears to be correct, and even if it wasn't all of the replacement ones look the same, for big block or small block.

The rod from the pedal to the Z bar is questionable, but the only pics I can find of it are taken looking down on it, so you can't tell where the bends are.

I just can't get it to line up at all, the attaching points are fixed on the Z bar and the pedal.

Here is the Brewers pedal rod, Z bar, and related parts. They all look exactly like mine.
Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Does anyone have a pic of an original BB pedal rod, and how it is mounted?

I must just be frustrated and missing something here- but unfortunately I cannot take it apart and fool around with it tonight because I need the car for the next week.

It looks like the clutch rod needs to be flipped end for end. Maybe the offset should be on the pedal end and not the z bar end.

I was thinking the same, I think- like this?
Crude drawing, I know.
The factory pic looks like it is the way I have it now, and has always been, but that is probably open to interpretation.
If my daughter goes to sleep soon, I might try to jeopardize any chance of getting her to school tomorrow and me to work, and go out and try to switch it around.

Took the pedal rod out. It clearly only goes in one way, the way it was in originally.
It was also evident that the 'bearing' the clutch pedal is on is wasted, causing the pedal to lean to one side and binding up the pedal rod.
When I took it off the clutch fork rod fell right off- it has been missing the clip for who knows how long.
I put it back together and now the over spring is getting caught up on the assembly which is not allowing the pedal to be pushed down.

Probably better that I looked at it tonight, instead of driving it tomorrow.

Now I know why I see pedal assemblies on e-Bay for so much dough.

Anyone know how to rebuild the pedals, and where to get parts?

The end of the 'bearing' on the clutch pedal side appears to be a giant rivet, or pressed on, or something.

Hey at least you figured out the problem. How bout any of the guys that sell the aftermarket pedal assemblies??

-
Back