4-speed o/d swap

-

dart sport

Reaction score
I have a 74 dart sport that I bought new with a 318 and 3 speed on the floor. Many years ago I put a 4-speed in it with no problems. Now I am looking at putting in a 4-speed O/D unit in it. I have the proper 318 (O/D) bellhousing and O/D trans unit.

Question is are these bellhousing the same size as my stock one and will my existing flywheel fit this bellhousing and engage the starter properly? Anything else that I may need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Dart Sport

"So far as I know" the only difference in the OD and some 4 speed bells in similar year / engines is the size of the center hole.

Hell years ago we never worried. "before the www. came along" In about 73? when I swapped the 340 into my 70 V code RR I just had the center hole turned out to fit the hemi box LOL

The reason that I asked the question is I came across this when gathering info prior to my swap. Now they might be talking about 6cyl, I don't know, the article didn't specify.

(For bell housing clearance reasons, the small 124 tooth flywheel must be used on both the 1964-66 bell housing and the 1975-81 Overdrive A-833 bell housing. Larger 130 tooth and 143 tooth flywheels do not fit these bell housings the starter will not engage ring teeth).

Thank you for your response. I looked at the trans and bellhousing pic in the article and I see that it is a 6cly bell housing that they are talking about. MY BAD.

Your existing 318 - 3spd flywheel is the correct one to use with the 318 OD 4spd bellhousing so you do not need to purchase one. Both use the 130 tooth flywheel. Nearly all slant 6's used a 122 (not 124) tooth flywheel creating the need for a different flywheel when doing a conversion from a 6 to and 8 or vice versa. They only thing that may (I say may cause I'm not absolutely 100% sure) need fabbing is the "Z" bar (or pedal cross shaft) mount at the bellhousing. The OD bell-housing may have a different pattern here depending on it's year of manufacture.

valiantpatrol, I think you are correct. In looking at the two and the bolt holes are in different positions on the O/D bell housing that I have. Will have to see when I pull the engine next week. Might have to make a new bracket. Darn!!

Brewers might be able to help you with that little pivot.
Depending on which OD box you have, the driveshaft front yoke may have to be changed.There were two sizes.If yours came out of a V8 car,I think it will be correct .

Thanks everyone! I looked at the bell housings and the mounting areas are different. When I take the engine out I will measure the mounting area and make a new plate. I ordered a new pivot stud from Classic ind. and making a new plate shouldn't be too difficult. (everyone knows how that goes)!! LOL

I'm not real sure but I believe the clutch fork or mount or both are different on the 833OD

-
Back