4 speed original console???

-

ppmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How can I know if this console is original 4 speed and is not a automatic that someone made a 4 speed?

Screenshot_20220216-220725_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20220216-220738_Messenger.jpg

The front top plate looks original.

But the big black base structure may not. You need to flip it over and look at the cut out on the drivers side. There should be a large semi circular cutout and have molded in bosses for a screw hold on the top of cutout.

p1070146-jpg.jpg

Search 4 speed consoles here for sale or just in general. You will find pictures.

That's a 69 front plate without the center indentation stripe like 67 and 68 had. The lid with the push button is 69-up ??

Here's a 67-68 console front plate and door plate. See the black indentation?

Now, 69's all get woodgrain overlay. So that indentation get covered. But you need to fill it with bondo or something.

image-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Autox pretty much nailed it. What I find cool is in your 2nd pic it has the words "orange vinyl". Never seen that before! Very cool, its gotta be for a "Hang Ten" Dart. I believe only 74 and 75. Not sure if they ever made 4 spd ones? So the plate could have been modified from auto to 4 spd. But the base is definitely 4spd. Look close right beside the tape measure you can see a small screw/clip. That was to hold a molded hump that originally was installed from factory. Hump was there so it.could be removed to make adjustments to linkage etc.
How can I know if this console is original 4 speed and is not a automatic that someone made a 4 speed?

View attachment 1715871563 View attachment 1715871564

interior7.jpg

Autox pretty much nailed it. What I find cool is in your 2nd pic it has the words "orange vinyl". Never seen that before! Very cool, its gotta be for a "Hang Ten" Dart. I believe only 74 and 75. Not sure if they ever made 4 spd ones? So the plate could have been modified from auto to 4 spd. But the base is definitely 4spd. Look close right beside the tape measure you can see a small screw/clip. That was to hold a molded hump that originally was installed from factory. Hump was there so it.could be removed to make adjustments to linkage etc.

View attachment 1715871645

im pretty sure his second picture is of the flip console storage door.

It’s a bit of a mish mash of parts, the door with the push button is definitely newer than 69. 69 had the finger smasher closing mechanism with no release button, that springs closed instead of the button release type pushing open. It looks like the correct late 68/69 only wood grain 4-speed front plate (no 4-speed A-body consoles after 69), not sure on the plastic body without more pictures.

One thing about the console body. 1966 four speed consoles did not have the extra hump. As stated that is a collection of parts from different cars.

-
Back