4 speed overdrive or A999 automatic

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
Planing an a body project for next winter.It will done for a daily driver as cheap as possible using a stock 318 with economy (MPG) in mind.I have a 4 speed a body overdrive and an A999 automatic transmission.Have everything to do the A999 will have to get all the clutch stuff bellhousing flywheel etc for the 4 speed OD I do have the clutch pedals.So with cost and used as a daily driver which would you do?

Attachments

• 318.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 143
You've already got the automatic so that will be the cheaper way to go. The OD setup will most likely get better mileage but you'll spend at least an extra $500 rounding up the bell housing, flywheel, clutcth & linkage, etc. to make it work if you have to piece everything together. If you could find a car with all of the clutch & bell housing stuff in a pick-a-part type salvage yard you might be able to get everything for maybe $125 or less. Then you'd just need a new clutch.

If it was me, I'd prefer the OD setup because I like to shift gears.

You've already got the automatic so that will be the cheaper way to go. The OD setup will most likely get better mileage but you'll spend at least an extra $500 rounding up the bell housing, flywheel, clutcth & linkage, etc. to make it work if you have to piece everything together. If you could find a car with all of the clutch & bell housing stuff in a pick-a-part type salvage yard you might be able to get everything for maybe $125 or less. Then you'd just need a new clutch.

If it was me, I'd prefer the OD setup because I like to shift gears.

Yes I prefer shifting gears also but it comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on this project I'm on the search for the clutch stuff mainly 5.125 hole bellhousing if someone has one let me know

-
Back