4 speed pedal bushing and bearing replacement

-

67dodgedartconv

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures showing how to do this? I got the clutch pedal arm out of the hollow shaft the brake pedal rides on. There are apparenly 2 (caged?) needle bearings that need to come out. Do these press out from one side to the other? Do they ride on a hollow shaft that comes out as well when they do? Don't want to screw up my pedal assembly. I saw that brewers has the needle bearings and a plastic bushing also.
20170605_192345.jpg
20170605_192516.jpg
20170605_192410.jpg

In the first picture most of the needle bearings fell out of that side. Do you press against the outer edge of that hollow shaft to take the shaft out with the bearings inside it? Would the bearing cages have to be pressed out too or will they tap out with a punch? Anyone remember the guy on here that was selling bronze bushings to replace the plastic ones? Sorry for all the questions but really appreciate any help. Thanks!

My 340 car had no bearings or they disinter grated over time....
Does anyone repop the heavy sleeve that goes in there ?

Following with interest....

Not sure what you are asking.
The needle bearing just come out with a sharp tool.
Best to take the assembly out of the car.

Don't loose them.
Clean, put grease in to hold them in place while putting the thing back in with the shaft.
The bushing on the brake peddle is just lubed and reused if good.
Is it bad for something?

bearings.jpg
brake peddle.jpg
cleaning.jpg

Member @ValiantOne makes bushings for them, or at least he used to [FOR SALE] - Bronze Brake & Clutch Pedal Bushings **new**

Thanks for mentioning it! I am actually getting ready to do a new run of brake bushings as I have a fabo member that needs a pair.

I have not done bronze brake bushings for anyone that has the HD roller bearing clutch bushings yet. I am pretty sure the brake bushings are the same though. It'd be easy enough to measure for.

If I can help please let me know,

Best,

CE

Not sure what you are asking.
The needle bearing just come out with a sharp tool.
Best to take the assembly out of the car.

Don't loose them.
Clean, put grease in to hold them in place while putting the thing back in with the shaft.
The bushing on the brake peddle is just lubed and reused if good.
Is it bad for something?

View attachment 1715054568 View attachment 1715054569 View attachment 1715054570
I want to detach the brake pedal arm from the pedal housing so that I can replace that plastic bushing with one of the metal ones valiantone has. I want to get the brake pedal apart like in your second picture. How did you do that? Thanks.

I want to detach the brake pedal arm from the pedal housing so that I can replace that plastic bushing with one of the metal ones valiantone has. I want to get the brake pedal apart like in your second picture. How did you do that? Thanks.

I went back and looked at my pictures because I couldn't remember.
But they don't show it.
I'm thinking that that same shaft/bolt goes through both?
Does it not?
So the brake peddle should come out then?

You need to pull the clutch pedal first... Then there is a 3"x1" sleeve that is held in place by what looks like a mini distributor clamp on one side. Remove the clamp and slide the sleeve out of center of brake pedal pivot.
You will have tp remove the spring etc...first.
I have never done it while assembly is in the car so that may sound simpler than it is...

You need to pull the clutch pedal first... Then there is a 3"x1" sleeve that is held in place by what looks like a mini distributor clamp on one side. Remove the clamp and slide the sleeve out of center of brake pedal pivot.
You will have tp remove the spring etc...first.
I have never done it while assembly is in the car so that may sound simpler than it is...
Assembly is out of car. Clamp was removed and Clutch pedal is removed from assembly. Pictures in my original post show my pedals. What I need to know is how that sleeve that the clutch pedal pivot shaft comes out of the center of is removed. Tapped out or pressed out? Don't see any other way it could come out but would like to know from someone who has done it.

Last edited:
I went back and looked at my pictures because I couldn't remember.
But they don't show it.
I'm thinking that that same shaft/bolt goes through both?
Does it not?
So the brake peddle should come out then?
Looks like once that hollow shaft comes out then the brake pedal will come out. The ends of the shaft protrude past the "frame" assembly so no way to get the brake pedal out until shaft comes out. That's my question is how does that shaft come out?

I tore mine apart but now cant remember whether I tapped it out or if it just slid out.
Must not have been a big ordeal if I cant remember. It was only a few months ago.

I tore mine apart but now cant remember whether I tapped it out or if it just slid out.
Must not have been a big ordeal if I cant remember. It was only a few months ago.

Exactly my problem.
Hard drive is full. Must have deleted that info.
(My brain). :realcrazy:

The shaft that the brake pedal rides on just slides out. Couple of light taps with a plastic mallet to free up the old dried up grease and it should come right out.

-
Back