4 speed pedal rebuild

-

matthon

Reaction score
So my clutch pedal assembly is toast, and I was looking for some expert FABO advice.
In the pic below, the red circle is where it is welded, and my weld is broke.
If I buy the parts to rebuild this from Brewers, I need:

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?id=41

1 - CP-ASH CLUTCH PEDAL SHAFT .5625" DIA 1967-72 A-BODY HEAVY DUTY PEDAL
2 - CPB772 CLUTCH/BRAKE PEDAL BUSHING 1.00" ID A-BODY HEAVY DUTY
2 - CPBS CLUTCH PEDAL BEARING SEAL
2 - CPB98 CLUTCH PEDAL BEARING A-BODY

There is a clip on the brake pedal side that I would also need to get from somewhere.

My questions are:
1) Does anyone offer a complete kit to rebuild the pedal assembly?
2) The exploded pic does not show the bearings, which would be inside the tube the clutch pedal shaft slides into. Are there any issues/tricks in getting the old bearings out and the new ones in?
3) Any issues/tricks in getting the entire pedal assembly out?
4) What is that thing circled in green in the pic below?

The thing in the green circle is the bumper for the clutch pedal, it goes in the big bracket everything bolts to.

Do you have bushings or bearings in the pedals? I got the bearings out of mine with a press, I had a friend with a lathe make a pin just smaller than the tube to press the bearings out.

Not sure, does the HD set up have bearings, and the regular have plastic bushings?

I would know more but I still need to be able to move it around; so I cannot take it apart yet.

When I disassembled my pedals all the needles came falling out from the bearings, so I was forced into replacing them. Its really no big deal at all. The best tool to use is a blind hole bearing puller but unfortunatly not everyone has access to one of those. You can likely get away with just using a brass punch and tap them out with a hammer.
The only real task in rebuilding your pedals is going to be dealing with the spring. But even thats not too bad. When you go to remove that put flat washers in the between each coil in the spring and it will help to keep it from compressing. This way you can remove and install it a little easier.

ive never seen bearings in a pedal assembly,, would be very intrested in seeign that set up,

ive never seen bearings in a pedal assembly,, would be very intrested in seeign that set up,

It's a 67+ 383/340 specific setup, the /6,273,318 cars used plastic bushings, the set I'm running came out of a '70 340 swinger.

So I do not need the plastic bushings, just:

1 - CP-ASH CLUTCH PEDAL SHAFT .5625" DIA 1967-72 A-BODY HEAVY DUTY PEDAL
2 - CPB98 CLUTCH PEDAL BEARING A-BODY
2 - CPBS CLUTCH PEDAL BEARING SEAL

Then weld the pedal shaft to the pedal.
I know the washer trick to get the spring out.

It looks like the pedal assembly is attached to many things.

Can all of this be accomplished with the pedal assembly still in the car?

It's a 67+ 383/340 specific setup, the /6,273,318 cars used plastic bushings, the set I'm running came out of a '70 340 swinger.

intresting learn some thing every day,,,,,would be a nice find to find a pedal set up like that

I called Brewers today. They told me if it is a HD pedal set up, I need the bearings and the plastic bushings for the brake pedal.
They also told me Chrysler called it the HD pedal set up, but they (Brewers) didn't consider it heavy duty at all, that the bearings wear out quickly and can easily cause the rod to damage the housing, sometimes even wearing a hole through it.
The grease can work its way out over time, so checking/adding it definitely extends the life of the set up.

For me, I'll just rebuild what I have. It just started to go south and I stopped driving it so I don't think its total trash.
Once rebuilt, I'm not too concerned with it wearing out again any time soon.

When I take it apart and rebuild it I'll post pics.

-
Back