4 speed rod adjustment

-

dschem

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 66 Barracuda with a 4-speed with the inland shifter. I wanted to know how to adjust the linkage rods. Specifically how do you make sure that all of the linkages on the trans are in neutral. I know about the tool to align the shifter so you can then adjust the rods, I am just not sure that each shifter part on the trans itself are in neutral. The trans is in the car and bolted to the engine right now. I do not have the drive shaft installed and I do not have the car running yet with a new motor.

So i just need help in knowing how to make sure each of the gears is in neutral before adjusting the rods. I do know that the rods have not really changed in their position from when I pulled the trans so is there a big difference so that the rods would still line up and I could make sure each gear is in neutral?

Thanks

Dave

Stick the drive shaft yoke in the end of the trans.
When it spins some what free you have it in neutral.
The two levers on the bolt on case, move them to the middle click, you will feel three clicks on them.
The one at the bottom is reverse it will only have two clicks. You have to move the arm to the front of the car for neutral.

Stick the drive shaft yoke in the end of the trans.
When it spins some what free you have it in neutral.
The two levers on the bolt on case, move them to the middle click, you will feel three clicks on them.
The one at the bottom is reverse it will only have two clicks. You have to move the arm to the front of the car for neutral.

X2 you can use a Cresent wrench to move the levers easily.

Hello,

Thank you very much.

So the 1,2 and 3,4 levers should be in the middle and the lower reverse lever should be toward the front.

Dave

You sound like yet another guy who needs a factory shop manual. You can download a free one right here

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1966_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

came from this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309

Right ought'ha the 66 shop manual:

1e4dom.jpg

w12upv.jpg

102s09x.jpg

Hello,

Thanks I already have the shop manual. But it does not say in what position the levers would be in neutral so I was just asking about that. Because I had taken the shifter out and the trans separately and since I know the levers were moved at some point while the trans was out of the car I thought I would ask just to be safe. I already have the flat piece of metal made up and everything else is ready.

Thanks though.

Dave

-
Back