4 speed safety switch

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I am not sure how the safety switch is suppose to be conected. The car starts fine but I do not have to push the clutch which means it will start in gear. There is a wire coming off the switch on the clutch linkage from under the dash but it has been cut. I think it goes to the starter but sure the proper wiring to make it work. The way it is now is, batery cable to starter and wire from the starter to the relay. Can anyone tell me where it is suppose to conect to? Do I need to chage how it is wired?

I ran mine from the relay throught the clutch switch to the starter ...works fine for me

OK, Run a wire from the saftey switch to the relay then to the starter? There is only 1 wire co ing from the safety switch. Sorry I don't get along with wiring very well but I can do it once I fully understand.

The clutch safety switch works just like a neutral safety switch. A starter relay designed for auto/ or clutch safety has 4 terminals

The big stud goes to the battery and also serves as a junction point, and a second cable goes from there to the large stud on the starter solenoid

The exposed "square" screw terminal goes down to the small screw on your solenoid

One (does not matter which) push-on terminal goes to the usually yellow 'crank' signal coming out of the bulkhead harness from the ign switch

The remaining push-on goes down to neutral safety (auto) or in through a separate gromment through the firewall to the clutch safety switch.

Frankly, in my opinion, they are almost more of a danger than they are worth, example:

There once, long ago, far away, in a previous life, someone's car and the 4 speed shifter WAS SLIGHTLY OUT OF ADJUSTMENT The car was equipped with the !@#$@#$%@$%!@#$!@#$$%!@#$!@#$ reverse lockout, forcing you to put the car in reverse before locking the colum, HERE is what happened:

Person got in the car, locked, in reverse. Turned on key, pushed in clutch, started car, pulled shifter out of reverse, and let out the clutch. VEHICLE IMMEDIATELY MOVED TO THE REAR because the transmission was still partially in reverse gear.

Messed up a nice car before he got 'er stopped.

I don't like the reverse lock, and I don't like clutch switches.

Depending on the year model of your vehicle, you can download a FREE factory shop manual here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

-
Back