4 Speed Shifter Change

-

AzDUSTER

Reaction score
Hi - Looking for recommendations and advice. Have a 4 speed 72 Duster with a 340 and 8.75 rear with this Hurst race shifter.

Wanting to change this out for a more conventional shifter to make it easier for family to use.

Any help is appreciated !

20240908_150425_resized.jpg

20240908_150439_resized.jpg

Why are you wanting to change that shifter??

They are great on the street. It’s my favorite shifter.

Edit: ok I got it. Had to go back and reread your OP.

About any H pattern Hurst shifter is about as good as it gets. Except for what you have. Like I said, my favorite and best shifter out there.

I prefer the Super Shifter III for H pattern stuff. I just like the reverse lock out.

As an FYI, make sure you know what you have if you are going to sell that shifter.

In fact, if you don’t mind PM if you are going to sell it.

TY

Don’t beat me up too bad @toolmanmike for asking for a PM. I lost my positive self control temporarily.

Get a super shifter with the push down for reverse. Works just as good and you can use the factory handle and boot.

Hi - Looking for recommendations and advice. Have a 4 speed 72 Duster with a 340 and 8.75 rear with this Hurst race shifter.

Wanting to change this out for a more conventional shifter to make it easier for family to use.

Any help is appreciated !

View attachment 1716300940

View attachment 1716300942
What is it? If it's an H pattern, you may only need a longer handle to make it friendly.

i'd pull it apart-- the boot and what not-- to verify what you have first.

i seem to remember that type of shifter mounting higher or different and having different rods than the competition plus (which is likely what you want). that is also why it appears as though there is a bigger than stock hole in the floor tunnel.

but yeah, a standard competition plus is probably what you're looking for.

This super shifter is the same body as a factory competition plus and the 71 up handle bolts right on . Look for the spring on the bottom when looking for one . I just bought one for $25 on FaceBook

1725881275599.png

1725881347001.png

1725881518296.png

-
Back