4 speed swap/rebuild

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
I have another thread started with the rest of the build. Link below. Got the transmission apart and found some issues.
1456542191_zpsjx6k2geg.jpg

1456545129_zpsr6w2r9d2.jpg

I have one for sale in Chicago. It may be cheaper than replacing the chewed up parts.

The chunk missing? It's only job is to hold the snap ring. So it should be ok right?
1456614005_zpsz7j3dd7y.jpg

Should be just fine. I do see some fragments in that thrust plate though. Make sure you check everything else and replace or clean up that thrust washer.

Where it was riding looks good. Pulled some fragments from inside the case. I'll make sure it's all clean.
1456614003_zpswgdlnnyt.jpg

Got mine from Brewers. Although I'm now in a pickle cause this just keeps getting worse.
1456791330_zpstaignd4f.jpg

Snap ring was toast. Not doing anything.

A lot of that ain't lookin "too good".

I am hoping my 833od looks better than that, but the noises it was making the first time I drove it, I don't know, I may need to just pitch it. I guess I will take it apart first then order the kit if it salvageable.

I am hoping my 833od looks better than that, but the noises it was making the first time I drove it, I don't know, I may need to just pitch it. I guess I will take it apart first then order the kit if it salvageable.

Is that the transmission you got from me? It was sold to me as a good unit, although all I did was run it through the gears on the bench. It felt good. If I need to make it right, let me know.

1456888796_zpsuh4s8dt6.jpg

25 miles from home. Old coworker. Was out of his old volare dirt track car.

1456888796_zpsuh4s8dt6.jpg

25 miles from home. Old coworker. Was out of his old volare dirt track car.

I would replace the brass shift forks. Brewers or Passon has steel ones. I just broke one on a used car I bought. First day I drove it I broke the 3-4 fork. The stupid thing was I have known this car since 2000. It belonged to my cousin. Why I didn't make him replace it when we had it apart I'll never know.

It supposedly shifted perfect when pulled 10 years ago. So did the last one I took apart. Heard mixed thoughts on the brass forks but cheap insurance I guess. Thanks.

It supposedly shifted perfect when pulled 10 years ago. So did the last one I took apart. Heard mixed thoughts on the brass forks but cheap insurance I guess. Thanks.

I forgot you had that other box. If it has steel shift forks you can use those. I have broke those brass ones several times.

EDIT: I went and looked through your pics again and that is what they look like after using ATF in a gear box. Don't want to jack the thread, but beware of that. All that metal transfer and all that. It it possible it was run low on lube as well. The end result is usually the same.

I forgot you had that other box. If it has steel shift forks you can use those. I have broke those brass ones several times.

EDIT: I went and looked through your pics again and that is what they look like after using ATF in a gear box. Don't want to jack the thread, but beware of that. All that metal transfer and all that. It it possible it was run low on lube as well. The end result is usually the same.

Good info. NO ATF check, make sure its full of oil check, dont tow behind a vehicle check.

-
Back