4 speed to my Slant 6

-

Slim Flipmin

Reaction score
Hey everybody-

I found a local a833 tranny 4 speed locally. The seller says it will fit my 65 slant. I think he has the bellhousing, aluminum body tranny, and Hurst shifter set up. Would this have 4 speeds AND OD? Or 4 speeds including overdrive? Can anyone tell me what problems MIGHT be encountered. I know the tranny tunnel will need some work but that's no big deal.....other than sourcing some sheet metal(some source info wouldn't hurt)....otherwise give me your opinions please. thanks,

Slim

I think all the aluminum ones were overdrive units. 3 speeds with overdrive, so four speeds total, wide ratios. The A bodys had their own shifter location so be carefull, but even if its not an A body unit it can be made to work. Look around on this site, there is tons of info on them.

Just so you understand what a factory Mopar OD was then back then, it was essentially a Mopar A833 4 speed with a re-geared third gear. Not quite this simple, but essentially. to make it shift "in order," Ma turned the 3 -- 4 shift lever upside down "pointing down." So in terms of "standard 4 speed," when you move the shifter 1 - 2 - 3 - 4, you are actually shifting the gearbox 1 -2 - 4 - 3. It is easy to confuse these. One easy, surefire way to tell FOR SURE is to get the gearbox in neutral. Take a wrench if necessary, and rotate the FRONT shift shaft clockwise. This puts the gearbox into 3rd gear (4 speed) or the OD gear (OD 4 speed)

Now simply rotate the input shaft one turn and see what the output shaft does. If it turns LESS than 1 turn, you have a standard 4 speed. If it turns slightly MORE than one turn, you have an OD gearbox

The seller told me its from a "Feather" Duster....No idea what that means

A Feather Duster was a Duster, built in about 1976, that had some lightweight components like a lighter-weight hood and deck lid, that made for a car that would get somewhat better fuel economy than other Dusters. It had a variety of modifications at the factory that enhanced fuel economy, but the main advantage was, it was lighter, on purpose. Hence the name, "Feather Duster."

Slim Flipmin you hiding from the law ? There is no location on your profile lol. There is a cast iron cased A-body overdrive in my garage that I would sell for 100.00 to help you out if I knew where you were located. Might want to consider changing your location. You miss out on lots of deals and help from members

ACPAT-
Thanks! I think i have it covered now except for the levers. If you have a set youd sell please PM me. Thanks and Ill fix up my profile. Thanks for everyones input and the wealth of info here.

Slim

lol, I will check and see if they are still on the tranny this weekend.

-
Back