4 speed trans id and other info needed

-

74scampga

Reaction score
i got this trans from a friend and was considering putting it into my 73 plymouth scamp. considering using this doing a small block 340 .4 speed build
here are the casting numbers
h4 and over is C99129 .stamped onto the pad is PP8332880 4319 and above that is a very faint no stamped 9E168355 the tailshaft is a C99126-1
any other info on what all i would need to do this would b greatly appreciated. thanks

23 spline input shaft standard slipyolk

It's a 1969 transmission from a Los Angeles built car.

It's most likely a B body trans would be my guess. Can you post a pic?

Look where the shifter bosses are located. If at the front of the tail shaft, it's a B body trans.

c6cf_1.JPG
c5cb_1.JPG

yeah, from what ive seen in articles it looks like an a body trans. anyone that has any info on this trans like what engine it was used for, gear ratios, and what all i would need to fit this in a 73 scamp with a 340...that currently has a 225 slant 6 automatic in it please leave some info. im young and havent had much experience with mopars or older cars for that matter.....

That appears to be an overdrive trans, you will need a newer overdrive bellhousing cause the front bearing retainer on the shaft is larger. You will also need a overdrive rshifter reverse rod, the other a833 a-body ones will work fine.

thanks for all the input. 77 views and only 5 replys tho. come on guys, i know everyone here has a wealth of information and it would b greatly appreciated if u could take a few minutes to gimme a few comments. thanks

That appears to be an overdrive trans, you will need a newer overdrive bellhousing cause the front bearing retainer on the shaft is larger. You will also need a overdrive rshifter reverse rod, the other a833 a-body ones will work fine.

Cant be an od if its a 69 trans. ods started in 73? I believe and were aluminum till later years as far as I know.

Cant be an od if its a 69 trans. ods started in 73? I believe and were aluminum till later years as far as I know.

They made steel case ones. The front bearing retainer looks bigger, the overdrive ones had the largest bearing cover. The side cover also has the raised line between the shift fork holes, only ever seen this on an overdrive.

'75 would be the year of an iron case OD. I put one in my '72 Duster, came out of a '75 Scamp.

Chuck

'75 would be the year of an iron case OD. I put one in my '72 Duster, came out of a '75 Scamp.

Chuck

Thats what I was saying. The first year for the od was 73 or 74 and they were aluminum. The iron case came out later. Mine is an iron case over drive.

The main case is from a 1969 Los Angeles built car, the original transmission was assembled on June 16, 1969. It looks like some one has been in to it. The input retainer looks like a 1975 or newer and is most likely case C-13157. I don't see any bolts holding it on and I am guessing the bolt pattern is the wrong one for the case. The side cover looks like a 1970 or newer with the scissors style detent and steel forks. The tail looks like the 68-75 for the 30 spline main shaft. The first year for the overdrive was 1975 and would have been cast iron. In 1976 they used the aluminum cases in the A31 optioned Dart Lite and feather Duster. I belive the 1977 and newer cars all used the aluminum cases and trucks and vans used the cast iron case.

thanks for all the info and help everyone, hopefully ill have my scamp running pretty soon and have some pics for you gusy. thanks again

-
Back