4 speed work with auto console? 68 barracuda

-

MOPARdefiler

Reaction score
New guy here. New to MOPARS, coming from the GM camp. Lots of questions.

I have a small block, buckets, console auto trans 68 barracuda. I have ALWAYS wanted a 4 speed 68 barracuda. The console in this car is PERFECT. Now, I understand that i need a trans floor hump for the shifter.......but will i need a completely different console, or will i just need to change the top plate to fit a 4 speed shifter?
thanks!

Seems like there is also a hump or a cut out for the shifter on the drivers side of the console if memory serves me correctly.

It must be a cut out or there is another cover missing on this one.
attachment.php

I believe that the only difference in the consoles is changing out the top for the four speed shifter. Now finding the correct shifter can be difficult. I had a 68 Barracuda Formula S that came with the console but the shifter had been changed out to a different husrt shifter and the console removed and the original shifter misplaced or sold. I found a couple on ebay but they were expensive. There are two types, the Inland A body console shifter and a Hurst A body console shifter.

I have the orig 4spd console shifter out of my 69 cuda and it is identical to the one Okla posted abv. It has the cutout, as well as a cover that goes over the cutout. You can get away with just changing the top plate I believe. I believe the cutout on the 4spd was to be able to access for adjustment but not 100% sure. I also have an NOS 4spd hump if you are interested.

I have the orig 4spd console shifter out of my 69 cuda and it is identical to the one Okla posted abv. It has the cutout, as well as a cover that goes over the cutout. You can get away with just changing the top plate I believe. I believe the cutout on the 4spd was to be able to access for adjustment but not 100% sure. I also have an NOS 4spd hump if you are interested.

Just so I know the difference, is it a just a flat cover that stays in line with the console or is it bubbled out?

I found a picture that 4spdragtop posted a while back showing the differences.
attachment.php

-
Back