4 Wheel Disks with 1 1/32" Master - Yay or Nay?

-

72Duster440

Reaction score
I currently have the non power SSBC disk brake conversion up front and am looking to add the Dr Diff rear kit out back. I was wondering if I'll get enough brake pressure using the larger bore master that came with the SSBC kit, or will the pedal effort be too high? SSBC says it'll be fine, but I wanted to,ask people who have done it. Currently the pedal effort isn't bad, but I'm not sure how much it would increase switching to rear disks. Should I factor in the cost of a 15/16" master to this conversion as well and just go ahead and replace it?

Last edited:
Nope, close to a factory manual effort for me. Used a little smaller bore if I had drums in the back. I always use a Strange master.
---------1987 dodge diplomat , alum. master cyl. w/ full manual disc set up.

Depends on many things, like the pads and your leg strength. Just don't pick a manly solution and then rear-end somebody. I prefer a smaller bore, plus a little extra pedal travel might actually help in better controlling the braking force. Note that almost all cars today come with a brake booster.

I had one 2-bolt aluminum one on my Dart with KH up front and 10" in the back. Braking was easy and great. The only time I had to use two feet and hope the car stopped was when I was driving down the mountain with cheap pads. I have 4 wheel discs now and hopefully I won't need to change master cylinders. Dr Diff Stage 4 in the front and Cobra discs in the rear.

I'm gathering parts for my 4 wheel discs. I don't know what master to get. I do agree with the 1" or less for the bore, but I don't like the look of these masters. modern plastic or billet aluminum, just isn't going to look right under the hood of my 66 Barracuda. I am trying to accomplish a resto that does performance upgrades that blend in. How do I find a Master Cylinder that has a stock look but is for 4 wheel disc's?

I'm gathering parts for my 4 wheel discs. I don't know what master to get. I do agree with the 1" or less for the bore, but I don't like the look of these masters. modern plastic or billet aluminum, just isn't going to look right under the hood of my 66 Barracuda. I am trying to accomplish a resto that does performance upgrades that blend in. How do I find a Master Cylinder that has a stock look but is for 4 wheel disc's?

I have seen aftermarket GM type that look like OEM. Housing is cast aluminum looks like cast iron if you paint it, has 2 wire bails and stamped steel lid.

Gonna go with a volare master with plastic reservoir myself. I think cardone sells the plastic reservoir in opaque white plastic for easy viewing of the fluid levels too.

Run one with <1" bore and you won't regret it. Also, spend the money on braided flex lines. Dr Diff can set you up with both items. Its money well spent on a critical system. You will enjoy the difference every time you use the brakes.

I recently bought Dr Diff 10.7 rear disk brake kit. It is very high quality. Not disappointed one bit. :)

-
Back