4 wheel power disc brakes in 73 duster

-

johnny gags

Reaction score
Currently have front disc and rear drum. No power. Have 8 1/4 rear. I want to run 18"wheels in back and 17" wheels in front. What is the best way for me to get 4 wheel power disc brakes?

Get the rear disc brakes off a jeep grand che. (about 1996) or so

+1 on that

You can use brakes from a 94-98 grand Cherokee. They are 11" rotors.

Hit a junkyard for the calipers and either reuse them (with new seals) if they are good, or use them as a core (Core is $40 each at O'Reillys). Also get the backing plates from the junkyard and be sure to take the parking brake stuff with you too.

I think a stock one of each should work fine
I'm not so sure about the master cylinder. One made for delivering fluid pressure to rear wheel cylinders wouldn't deliver enough volume or even contain enough fluid for rear calipers. Adjustable proportion valve may help. I would do some research. I think I would be looking for a 4 wheel disc non-abs application.

FYI

SSBC Uses a stock Mopar master cylinder on their manual 4 disc brake package so you could probably use a 73 up disc brake master cyl and be fine. Proportioning valve is a must.

Call SSBC and they could give you the info and a part no for the MC.

Mop

did you pic out rims yet? is your 8 1/4 already a sure grip, does it have the gears you want?

with the new cam that is going in the motor it will not produce enough vacuum to run power. 4 wheel disc manual? hows that working out for you? if i opt to get a vaccum pump how much would you want for the parts?

4 wheel manual discs are pretty nice. i originally had the disc/drum master cylinder and the pedal was up high, had very little travel, when you hit it, the brakes were right there, of coarse its not as nice and soft as power brakes but it gave a nice feel. i went to the aluminum master i forget bore size but the pedal travels a bit more till you get a real hard pedal. you feel more in cotrol with the manual discs. takes some getting used too but it will stop faster than anything else i own.

did you pick out your rims that you will be running already?

no i did not pick out rims yet. now i might have my hands on a 8 3/4 so i will put discs on that. i am just getting all of my eggs in one basket before i do anything. i only like doing things once. i will probably relocate springs on new axle if i get it. everything has to come out anyway. would like to get 18x10 in the back if possible. just need to figure out offset etc.. would also like to say thanks for all of the help guys!

-
Back