4"x5 to 4.5"x5 drums

-
Ok guys, Please do not redrill your AXLES, there isn't enough meat in the those 4" bolt pattern axles, to begain with, purchase a new set of 4.5" bolt pattern axles, and go with the disc brake conversion up front

LET'S ALL BE SAFE with our CLASSIC CARS, do the right thing, your family's life will depend on it, not to mention the motoring public, besides IT IS AGAINST THE LAW, in all 50 states

And while we are on the subject, " DO NOT USE WHEEL ADAPTERS either, I know they are sold, if was a good idea, don't you think the cars would have come from the factory with them already installed ?

I am just trying to keep everybody safe and alive

why would you say its not safe??????have you done the deal???? we have a car here thats been 6.20 at 100+ in the 1/8 mile no problems...alot of guys around here do it....my front drums has been drilled to big bolt and has 1/2 studs no problem they been on my car for a while..been 7.40 and street drove it.....i undersatnd if yoy had some problems with some but if you have not done it, just dont jump on ther wagon cause of what you have heard or something.....must be safe if comp. like moser and strange will drill the axles out..they arent gonna take the risk if not..but thats just me mike:D

They work fine.My rearend was in a 10 second Cuda for years,no problem,depends if a real craftsman does the work.

1968hemidart, I read the OP as about drilling out the brake drums to a 4.5"D bolt circle, 1/2"D bolts, not drilling the axles. I don't see any safety concerns with that. Drilling the axles does take more care, but I don't think there is a problem with "not enough metal".

I am considering the other way - drilling a 5x4.5" drum for 5x4" bolts since the rear drums are almost unavailable for 10" drums in early A's.

-
Back