400/470 - Cam Bearing Question

-

80fbody

Reaction score
Should I be concerned with the 4th cam bearing that feeds the heads? Neither side is great. Probably 2/3 open at most. It’s gonna be a 400/470 strip mule approx .625 lift.

IMG_9401.jpeg

I'd be more concerned about the gouged bearing. It is possible to drill the bearing in place, but it's not easy, would need to chamfered and checked afterwards. If I were you, I'd run it as-is and don't worry about the perceived misalignment.

Who's heads? Indy's don't use those ports anyway.

Edelbrock rpm heads. The bearing has a couple marks from test fitting but don’t believe there are any gouges.

I think the holes on some cam bearings are a bit off, it looks just like mine in my 470. I have 0 issues with oiling top, bottom or pressure issues.
I have been Dyno tuning mine and have had the thing at 6500 for 15-20 tests.

I think the holes on some cam bearings are a bit off, it looks just like mine in my 470. I have 0 issues with oiling top, bottom or pressure issues.
I have been Dyno tuning mine and have had the thing at 6500 for 15-20 tests.

Excellent. That's definitely reassuring. I did some reading and there's some that have recommended installing a restrictor to limit oil to heads a bit to keep it at the mains. Not planning to do anything like that but seems a bit of a reduction to the heads may be ok.

Excellent. That's definitely reassuring. I did some reading and there's some that have recommended installing a restrictor to limit oil to heads a bit to keep it at the mains. Not planning to do anything like that but seems a bit of a reduction to the heads may be ok.
I have .060 restrictors in my heads for my rockers. It oils very well up in the heads

but seems a bit of a reduction to the heads may be ok.
Also, keep in mind..... the boys at the factory engineering department studied on this very cam bearing issue long, long before you discovered this little anomaly. Nuff said?

Also if u were to flip the bearing 1/2 turn u the holes may have lined up perfectly. That is a bit much off for me but as said it will be fine. Kim

-
Back