400 Balance Questions

-

awohlers

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading and googling and confused the hell out of myself. Hopefully someone here can help. I have a 400 going into a 70 duster. It is a cast crank, externally balanced motor and I have an 11 inch, 143 tooth neutral balanced flywheel. I have read I can use this with the weight kit from Brewers, that it will work fine as is with the harmonic balancer, and that I can't use it at all and I need to get the right weighted flywheel. Can one of you please clarify this for me?

Thanks,
-Adam

As long as your flywheel is drilled and tapped to mount the balance weight you should be good to go. The weights that Brewers sells are to convert the Mcleod flywheels to external balance, probably won't work with a OEM wheel unless you know where to mount the weight.

The Cast 400 crank shaft is not likely drilled to accept an input shaft for a standard transmission.

I've been doing a lot of reading and googling and confused the hell out of myself. Hopefully someone here can help. I have a 400 going into a 70 duster. It is a cast crank, externally balanced motor and I have an 11 inch, 143 tooth neutral balanced flywheel. I have read I can use this with the weight kit from Brewers, that it will work fine as is with the harmonic balancer, and that I can't use it at all and I need to get the right weighted flywheel. Can one of you please clarify this for me?

Thanks,
-Adam

An externally balanced engine requires the externally balanced flywheel and crank damper. If you're engine is a mild street build, stock components would be recommended. 65'

It's pretty much a dead stock build with a slightly more aggressive cam. It came with my car and was built by a friend of the seller with no build sheet. The crank is cast so I'm sure it's externally balanced but I foolishly bought a neutral balance fly wheel at a swap meet without thinking. Now it seems like my options are to either drop the flywheel off at the machine shop for to have holes drilled in it or order a new one from Brewers.

As far as the input shaft, I am going to mock it up and see what happens. Worst case I will use the new pilot bearing and cut the input shaft down. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it seems highly unlikely it will fit.

It's pretty much a dead stock build with a slightly more aggressive cam. It came with my car and was built by a friend of the seller with no build sheet. The crank is cast so I'm sure it's externally balanced but I foolishly bought a neutral balance fly wheel at a swap meet without thinking. Now it seems like my options are to either drop the flywheel off at the machine shop for to have holes drilled in it or order a new one from Brewers.

As far as the input shaft, I am going to mock it up and see what happens. Worst case I will use the new pilot bearing and cut the input shaft down. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it seems highly unlikely it will fit.

If the engine is in the building phase,I agree with oldkimmer. Install a 383 steel crank and damper. You already have the correct flywheel.

@#67barracudabob
Look at you , digging up a almost 4 year old thread just to exercise your right to push that disagree button. That’s so cute.
@#67barracudabob
Look at you , digging up a almost 4 year old thread just to exercise your right to push that disagree button. That’s so cute.
Sorry I did not mean to dis I got big fingers with little phone. Disentangle know I did
@#67barracudabob
@#67barracudabob
Sorry a bout that no disrespect big fingers little phone I hope it's all good

-
Back