400+ hp 273

-
Jerry6 I'm pretty sure one the races are in Quebec, I can wait to go down the big stretch revving her 7500+.

Jerry6 I'm pretty sure one the races are in Quebec, I can wait to go down the big stretch revving her 7500+.
Please pm me if you will be at a track in Quebec , would love to see your car run . Was at the legends of racing last weekend , but it was a let down , 3 Trans Am cars (over 25 last year) , 2 Can Am cars , about 1/2 the F-1 Indy cars compared to lat year . Guess the economy really sucks .
So don't forget , I want to see a screaming 273 , and I hope it is at Tremblant , a fantastic track , you should hit red line on the straight !

http://www.lecircuit.com/circuitDocuments/CMT areal.jpg
CMT%20areal.jpg

I'm curious to see how this build comes out. If the price isn't completely insane, I might just build my 273 like yours someday..

My 273 build not gonna be on the cheap side cause I'm building her for endurance at high rpm 7500+ for road courses, but I can't see why you couldn't do a street version for not hugh dollars using your stock short block with milled and ported 302 heads 9-9.5:1 CR, Eddy airgap, 600 carb, headers and high lift 268 cam should get ya 350ish hp and use a low set of gears out back 4.10:1+.

I was thinking it wouldnt be too bad... Wouldnt it need to be a little more than 600CFM, if its done up?

I was thinking it wouldnt be too bad... Wouldnt it need to be a little more than 600CFM, if its done up?

It depend what matters most to you straight line performance or driveablity a 600 should be the sweet spot. My cousin 360 powered stock car with a 390cfm 2barrel and pulls all the way to 7000rpms.

Alright. I have a 650 (CarterAFB) on my 76 D200, 318(Stock), and it doesn't seem to be too much.

Because you're looking to maximize the effort - I'd have them bore, hone, and chamfer the bores but not install the head dowels. Then put the block on a stand and turn it over with a head loosely bolted. By looking down through the bottom of the bore you'll be able to see where the valves are in relation to the bore walls, and by tracing the bore on the head gasket surface you're able to use offset dowels to center the chambers over the bores better. This is another one of those things that can be wayyyy off from the factory.

Moper I have never heard of that. Too cool.

Hey Rumble, how about a billet 340+.60, 13.1 comp. W2s or W5s, Serious roller and valvetrain with a 2.60/2.70 stroke to 273, haven't done the exact math. That should make 400+ @ about 9500 and sound like nothing most people here have ever heard. Bring back the old Modified production/Gas days...hehe.
exactly some of those engines were turning 12000 rpms screaming those were the days ....

Can't wait till spring to work on my cars, but I've decided after reading someones comment its best not to make your car a dubble duty street/race car I've come to an agreement. So I've decide to keep the Cuda a street car so an Eddy headed 451 is in its future but for now if the 273 shortblock fine I'm gonna mill and port the stock heads throw a 340 intake and 650 with a solid 274ish cam and home build headers already got the kit.

For the race car Im using a low mileage 5th Ave I got, it's gonna be gutted with a stock car cage, seats and fuel cell. For suspension just sway bars, shocks and big sticky tires later its gonna get full stock car wide five suspension. Last engine gonna be just be 4bbl, cam and headers. Gonna call it "The Flying Brick"

Cool,I think you made a great decision.Best of luck!

Thanks Abodybomber this way I can do my Cuda they way I want it and don't have to scrafice wins for driveablity or vise versa, the only down extra cost and space.

Good call with the M body, there not all bricks lol.

Your's is a little more swoopier, I know M body is an odd choice, I was all excited to smoke them with an almost 50 year old A body but even more excited to do it with a 5th Ave want to keep it stock looking as possible from the outside. Suspension gonna be tricky since there little aftermarket help but gonna limp along with mostly stock until I can go Wide5, Viper or Vette, Eventually aerodynamics is gonna be its limitation as you can't go lower than 6 to 1 weight to HP ratio, at 3000lbs that's 500hp.

Here is my recipe for a nice motor, soft in low rpm when you Cruise around and pretty wild when you need it :glasses7:

273 commando
318 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves and someone who can port the heads for the optimal flow.
340S camshaft.
Hei Electronic distributor from China :shock:
2 plans open air intake from China :shock:
Edelbrock 600 street performer...

Its sheep, and it runs like somthing that comes from heaven :glasses7:

Attachments

• IMG_0465.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 277
YOUR 273 KILLS MY 340 , something fishy there , you have more torque than my old 440 , which was built . My 340 has 398 hp and 412 tq with a better cam and mild ported heads , Mahle 10.5 pistons and .30 over , headers 750 holley and edelbrock air gap intake .

;
Here is my recipe for a nice motor, soft in low rpm when you Cruise around and pretty wild when you need it :glasses7:

273 commando
318 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves and someone who can port the heads for the optimal flow.
340S camshaft.
Hei Electronic distributor from China :shock:
2 plans open air intake from China :shock:
Edelbrock 600 street performer...

Its sheep, and it runs like somthing that comes from heaven :glasses7:

YOUR 273 KILLS MY 340 , something fishy there , you have more torque than my old 440 , which was built . My 340 has 398 hp and 412 tq with a better cam and mild ported heads , Mahle 10.5 pistons and .30 over , headers 750 holley and edelbrock air gap intake .

;

Must be in Metric horsepower! lol

To bad , was looking forward to seeing a high revving high HP 273

Can't wait till spring to work on my cars, but I've decided after reading someones comment its best not to make your car a dubble duty street/race car I've come to an agreement. So I've decide to keep the Cuda a street car so an Eddy headed 451 is in its future but for now if the 273 shortblock fine I'm gonna mill and port the stock heads throw a 340 intake and 650 with a solid 274ish cam and home build headers already got the kit.

For the race car Im using a low mileage 5th Ave I got, it's gonna be gutted with a stock car cage, seats and fuel cell. For suspension just sway bars, shocks and big sticky tires later its gonna get full stock car wide five suspension. Last engine gonna be just be 4bbl, cam and headers. Gonna call it "The Flying Brick"

Valle, please don't take offence to this as but if that 273 is running on pump fuel and naturally aspirated I'm 100% certain there's no chance in hell those numbers are correct.

739nm is equal to about 540ft lbs. That's well and truly into street/strip 440 territory. You should ask the dyno operator for your money back and tell him he should've known better!

If you find out the guy that is a 273 guru, please pass his information on to me also. I own a '66 Dart GT with the 273 and am always interested in increasing horsepower. Thanks for any help.

If you find out the guy that is a 273 guru, please pass his information on to me also. I own a '66 Dart GT with the 273 and am always interested in increasing horsepower. Thanks for any help.
Horsepower and drivability would need a supercharger. (I can't believe I said that.) Small cube engines need rpm to make a lot of horsepower. Valve size is the biggest drawback.

Horsepower and drivability would need a supercharger. (I can't believe I said that.) Small cube engines need rpm to make a lot of horsepower. Valve size is the biggest drawback.

Depends how you do it, people build NA ford 4.6l and chev 4.8l to about 400 hp and a reasonably streetable but mainly do it with head flow with mild cams.

With a 273 and some sort of magnum or 360 head stock or ported and 215 to 225 cam should be fairly streetable and make around 300-350 hp.

As for the 273 I wanted to build in this thread drive ability was of secondary concern :)

-
Back