400 Ignition

-

Csommers

Reaction score
Currently working on getting my 400 ready to fire. it's a 400 stroked to a 470. The car is basically a streetable race car. I have zero ignition parts so far. I was looking at getting a combo kit from summit but wanted some input before I pull the trigger. I'm looking at 2 kits.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-csumffpb01/kitcombocontents

OR

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-combo1bbmr/overview/make/dodge

Both are basically the same price just different components. I'm looking for max reliability and adjustability. Any input helps. Thanks!

Hi , my suggestion is a Pertronix Ignitor III for your low deck along with Ignitor III coil . this will eliminate the ballast resistor . Also, get the Ignitor III with the vacuum advance . The va is much kinder to your engine on the street and gives a little better mileage . You can lock it out for racing if you want . We have burnt up 4 MSD 6Al 's in two years . Not what they used to be . BTW, one of my best Mopar friends lives in New Windsor and his bff lives in Newburg .

Hi , my suggestion is a Pertronix Ignitor III for your low deck along with Ignitor III coil . this will eliminate the ballast resistor . Also, get the Ignitor III with the vacuum advance . The va is much kinder to your engine on the street and gives a little better mileage . You can lock it out for racing if you want . We have burnt up 4 MSD 6Al 's in two years . Not what they used to be . BTW, one of my best Mopar friends lives in New Windsor and his bff lives in Newburg .

I read a few post on here recently of some MSD parts burning up. Just kinda wanna get extra suggestions. Thanks! Wouldn't happen to be John or his brother Pat would it?

I think you should talk with Johnny at Pace before you spend that much or talk to Trailbeast on here.

I think you should talk with Johnny at Pace before you spend that much or talk to Trailbeast on here.
Good lord....for $600 i'll come and wax the thing for you.lol
upload_2017-4-4_11-13-8.png

TSP-JM7719R Mopar BB- B Engine (400 CID) Ready to Run, Pro Series Electronic Distributor. Red Cap
Street Fire Spark Plug Wire Set MSD Ignition 5552 - Pace Performance Parts
PAC-4207-1 High Output Coil for Ready-to-Run Distributors

I dunno, my $20 swap meet Accell dual point and ancient big yellow coil seem to fire my roller cam, dual quad 400 just fine up there around 6500.
Runs out of valve spring before she runs out of spark

Nope. Actually there are three of them . Mike C. of New Windsor . He has a '65 Satellite . Bill Y. of Newburg with a Lil' Red Express and Mike L. with a Pro Street .Cuda . Great guys and fun to be with . I had a Mopar parts business back in the 90's and that's how we met . Later, Tom

Lmao. This is my first Mopar and everything has been expensive so when I see an outrageous price I think it's normal!

This is wayyyy better!

Now what about running a ignition box for a rev limiter or 2 step?

Lmao. This is my first Mopar and everything has been expensive so when I see an outrageous price I think it's normal!

This is wayyyy better!

Now what about running a ignition box for a rev limiter or 2 step?
If you want to run a box... say this one thats in stock, and looks pretty Badass also..
Digital-6AL Digital Ignition Controller MSD Ignition 64253 - Pace Performance Parts
upload_2017-4-4_13-1-43.png

It wires in also.

If this was a 440, i do have some cheaper distributor options, but you low deck guys are limited to a few less options.

technically a box can be used with an OE distributor, but then you're usually limited to a OE type cap/female wires...and usually anything OE has very little advance tuning.

Last edited:
I`ve had 4 diff. hotrods, all w/ msd ignitions and never burnt one up. no problems so far.

-
Back