400 to 451 stroker what year is best block

-

73dart360

Reaction score
i have a line on a1980`s i think mid 80`s steel block 400 engine ,it was in a truck i was thinking picking it up for a stroker build using the 440 crank is there a particular year block i should be looking for ?

They say the 71-72 block with the 230 as the last thre digits in the casting number are the best. The 630 block is a good one too.

They all work great!

If you are still concerned maybe an aftermarket would ease your mind.

Yep...ANY year block will be JUST fine! I don't know who in the hell came up with "this years block is better than that years block", yada yada yada...

Nuts went .060 over bore on a 77 Motor home 400 still plenty of meat the shop told me can go up too a .100 over bore the 72 400 NA cold block only had more Nickle built same way as the later ones just has less rust on them after a shot peen ..

Spend $75.00 and have any block you use sonic tested.

The cylinder wall thickness of all production blocks is all over the map. Core shift and other manufacturing variations mean that there is HUGE variations in wall thickness. Some blocks could easily withstand .100" of overbore while others shouldn't be bored at all.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I've never had a bad 400 block and I've had plenty. Those famed "230" blocks are rare as hens teeth and you could cut your state deficit in half with one! I've got 2 out of motorhomes and one out of a fury and looking at the webbing and the sonic sheet from the machine shop (Kendricks Speed here in S.A.) they seem identical.

Since we're wakin up the dead......neither block is superior to the other and here's why. I forget which is which but here's the deal. One or the other (early or late) is a thin wall casting, but has THICK main webs. One or the other (early or late) is a thick wall casting with thinner main webs. So it really doesn't make a load of crap difference.

-
Back