400ci big block in a van?

-

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ok gents, I know the SB mopar area, but my next door neighbor has a early to mid 70's dodge van with a 400ci big block engine in it, hes pretty much offered me the engine (it runs pretty good, no smoke/knock/noise) with decent oil pressure.
Are these engines good for anything? I severely doubt I could get it to fit in my 66 cuda, but is it worth keeping around for my next project vehicle?

yes keep it. they are used in the "451 stroker" also if you google "440source stroker kits" you will find that they offer kits to make those blocks into stroker monsters lol

they are generally a bit stronger than 440 blocks.

Any running big block is good! A 400 is one of the "better" middle of the road engines to have laying around.

A 400 in stock form has alot of potential. Since HP is directly proportional to RPM the Chrysler heads on the smaller CID engines work really well. If you up the compresion and add a little cam the are wicked. You have a shorter stroke than a 350 Chevy and a larger bore than a stock 440.

hmmm. in that case wonder if I could shoe horn it afterall into my 66 barracuda roflmao.. He pretty much offered me the entire van in running condition (body is toast, but the engine and tranny were clean, oil was clean, tranny fluid didnt smell burnt, and had no grit in it) dont know what rear axle it had.. might make for an interesting experiment.

They are great engines. You can either find some early closed chamber heads to raise compression, or get different pistons. They also make great foundations for a stroker, although for a street car, a good warmed over 400 would be fantastic.

Thanks Rusty, you never did call me to take a look at that car for you in SC by the way.
Nice looking ride dummy, lets see a pic of the engine compartment

Always get a good engine and trans. Not for the 66, they barely fit in a 67 up "A" Body. Plus there are no parts available, so everything will be custom.

66fs,
Man thats a good looking 66... Just putting it out there. What type of rims are those? They match the car perfectly.

Rear end in the van could be either a 9 1/4" or 8 3/4". It's worth looking under the old girl's skirts...

66fs, Man thats a good looking 66... Just putting it out there. What type of rims are those? They match the car perfectly.
Thanks, Minilites 15 x 6. Hope to be in Greenwood, SC next year. I figured, just once, to have a paint job like that. Yours looks pretty nice also. Glad to see you have most of the bugs out of your 66.

Most of the bugs yes, Im getting ready for a six to eight month long deployment, so Im building my deployment shopping list for the old girl now. New roof, new floorpans, new 1/4 panels... Alterkation K member or an HDK setup, with a 4 link rear suspension built onto an 81/4 or 8 3/4 axle.. it will eventually get to where you'res is lol

Minilites huh? How much did those set you back? What are you doing up in greenwood? Thats not too far from where I live.

I always say "If it's free,,it's for me !!" Take it, use it, trade it, flip it. I wouldn't turn it down.. Lots of other parts on the van fit cars too...

Thanks Rusty, you never did call me to take a look at that car for you in SC by the way. Nice looking ride dummy, lets see a pic of the engine compartment

I appreciate the offer, but I really need to get rid of stuff at this point. lol

Be sure to grab the 727 as well, it should be the slip yoke version used in cars. Big block 727's, at least around here, seem to be getting harder to find all the time. The van big block engine mounts and exhaust manifolds may also have some value as they are uncommon. Good stuff, even if you don't keep it, to sell or trade for bits that you need!

Rob the engine.trans,brake backing plates,slip yoke,front rotors and all 4 wheels. I would cut the roof off to make it easier to pull it. There isn't much room for pulling it.

Minilites huh? How much did those set you back? What are you doing up in greenwood? Thats not too far from where I live.

I'd have to look, they were not bad, as I remember. They custom made them for me and have steel inserts where the lug nuts interface. The only thing they messed up was the pilot hole was not bored through and hit the front bearing diameter of the K-H hubs before they seated against the wheel surface. We are retiring in Greenwood, love the people. My suspension is stock Formula S. Come drive it before you spend all that money.

66, I will definatly take you up on that offer. I know the factory suspension in mine is slap worn out. Im mostly setting it up as a daily driver, but want something that will corner like a scalded dog at the same time..
Thanks for th advice on what to snatch, def will be snagging as much as I can off of the van.. and probably cutting up alot of the good metal to use for various projects... Plus Ill make a few buck in metal when Im done snagging what I want off of it, so its a win win...

... Im mostly setting it up as a daily driver, but want something that will corner like a scalded dog at the same time...

That's what I wanted, and I'm real happy with it, but I've had one of these for almost 40 years and have tried almost everything other than real high dollar.

Good god man.. That is one sexy interior and engine compartment... What I wouldnt give to drop the hammer on that beast at the track roflmao. Did you build the center console yourself? Looks like a factory console that was professionally modified

-
Back