401 ci engine

-

1972Dart

Reaction score
A relative just called to see if I wanted his 1970's jeep. He said it has a 401 ci BB engine that runs real strong but the jeep itself is kinda rough. I'm just wondering if any of you are using a 401 in any abody or what the rep they have overall. This is a big block engine size from AMC correct? Any info appreciated or websites that may have info on them. I did some searches on yahoo but haven't gotten any real good info as of yet. Thought someone here might know something or point me in the right direction.

That 401 is an AMC engine that grew from the Rambler 390. Good torque engine ina Jeep and in an AMX they ran good. Indy Cylinder Head is making heads, etc and Edelbrock also is making heads and manifolds. as far as running one in a mopar, I have never seen one swapped in. There is a good market for them with the AMC people, and the Jeep guys that don't want to ruin thier Jeeps with Chevy engines are always looking for them.

FWIW, the AMC 401 is not a big block, externally it is the same as a 304, 343, 360 and 390. Just like Buick and Pontiac AMC only had one block size for all there displacement engines.

Also, to use the engine in a mopar will require an AMC tranny or an adapter to mount a mopar pattern tranny.

dgc333 said:
FWIW, the AMC 401 is not a big block, externally it is the same as a 304, 343, 360 and 390. Just like Buick and Pontiac AMC only had one block size for all there displacement engines.

Also, to use the engine in a mopar will require an AMC tranny or an adapter to mount a mopar pattern tranny.
FYI, Buick did not share the same block on their engines, the 400,430,455 shared the same block size and the 350 was a different block size.

Some AMC engines used a torque comand trannys which were re-named torque flights.
Indy also makes heads and intakes as well as aluminum blocks for AMC.
401's are hard to come by. the 360's from AMC are everywhere.

Yep, but the torque commands had different bolt patterns for attaching to the engine.

ThanX for all the feedback and info. I still didn't find much info online as I thought I should. I also saw it was not a BB so thanks for confirming what I read dgc333. So with that said I'm not sure if I will go through with even picking it up or not. I think the heads will fit on my 360 so maybe I can do some porting and get more flow? Any of you know if I could do this or any advantages from these heads?

dgc333 said:
Yep, but the torque commands had different bolt patterns for attaching to the engine.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Was it an AMC pattern or Chevy pattern used on the AMC blocks?

The AMC heads does not bolt up to a mopar engine. Though I didn't think thats what you were meaning.
I guessing 401 heads to 360 AMC engines. I do not see why not though I have noticed that there was a change done to them in the '69 or so year. Edelbrock has 2 intakes for them. (Early and late)

I pretty sure it was an AMC pattern. The auto's in AMC's used to be a borg-warner unit then in the late 60's they changed to the torque flight.

FWIW, mitsubishi used to use 904's behind the 4cyl's in there small pick-ups and it was unique too.

FWIW I am a Jeep guy/Mopar guy. Jeeps used 727's in the 80's behind their 360's. It would be a semi-straightforward swap to swap output parts and get a 401 727 combo.

I had thought about it until I got my current 318 car. I have a 401 in my Jeep.

Just some thoughts, ROB

I have a hard enough time keeping Mopar straight with Mopar, let alone the confusion of a confused company like AMC/Jeep.
A mopar trans with a GM starter bolted to a fordish engine that sorta' has a familiar Olds-ish design, too.
AMC (GM style) rear end or Mopar 8 3/4? seen both.

The term "Massive Confusion" was tailor made for AMC.
I think somewhere they may actually have a patent on that term. :D

Mark.

I have done way more with jeeps than Mopar cars and it is that confusing. Ford ignitions etc. Once you learn the basics though, it isn't too bad.

Glad some of you know about all this different stuff. Looks like I discovered a whole new world. Its kinda of refreshing, but then just gets confusing as hell. I think I'll leave AMC alone for awhile.

Mark Nixon said:
I have a hard enough time keeping Mopar straight with Mopar, let alone the confusion of a confused company like AMC/Jeep.
A mopar trans with a GM starter bolted to a fordish engine that sorta' has a familiar Olds-ish design, too.
AMC (GM style) rear end or Mopar 8 3/4? seen both.

The term "Massive Confusion" was tailor made for AMC.
I think somewhere they may actually have a patent on that term. :D

Mark.
It's not as doom and gloom as you make it out to be. If you know Mopar, GM and Ford vehicles you have an AMC licked.
Now go buy your Chevy

The crank flange is different on the AMC for the Tq/Command than the Mopar TF 727....So unless you can find an adapter...you'll be using a Tq/Command.

ALSO THE 401 WAS THE ONLY ENGINE OF THE GROUP TO RUN FORGED RODS. All the others (292, 301, 341 and 390) ran cast rods which can limit their potential...

The 401 is def. the best of the bunch, and not just for the cubes.... :thumbup:

-
Back