4027596 318 head questions??? Help

-

KudaKrazy

KudaKrazy
Reaction score
Im building a 68 cuda notch. I have been collecting parts to do a 318 mild build. I have all edelbrock parts such as a 600 cfm carb. 4 bbl intake non egr. Timing chain,cam, lifters (which i cant use cuz i purchased the flat tapped cam n lifters), valve springs. Ect. I was told the 318 i have was a 77 block. But it turns out its a 89 magnum. With roller rockers and flat top pistons. Question is i purchased a set of 4027596 318 heads. To put on the motor. The only difference i see is between the 714 heads are the holes where the push rods go through look bigger on the 89 motor? Is this a prob? Will the 596 heads work on this motor, any help will be appreciated.

how will you oil the rocker shafts the mag block don't have the oil holes drilled do they?
can you oil them with the push rods only ,mag style?

89 oils through the block. Use the 714 heads if you have them. The LA 318 heads have larger chambers and the pushrod holes will have to be clearanced.

Actually the "302" casting is the most desirable 318 head,it is a closed,heart shaped combustion chamber and has the large push rod holes for roller cam, had two sets sold one set,the others going on my m880 power wagon.

Actually the "302" casting is the most desirable 318 head,it is a closed,heart shaped combustion chamber and has the large push rod holes for roller cam, had two sets sold one set,the others going on my m880 power wagon.

Actually the "302" casting is the SAME as the "714" casting. FOR SURE. MT:burnout:

Never heard of "714" heads,learn something new,I guess?

every 714 head I've had came from a truck motor and had rotators on the exhaust valves.

every 714 head I've had came from a truck motor and had rotators on the exhaust valves.

That's because they didn't put v-8's in cars those years.... FWD... :banghead:

The v-8's were only put in the Jeeps and Dodge/Plymouth trucks and vans. :violent1:

It wasn't until the 300 C came out that they started putting v-8's in cars again... :cheers:

And the LA v-8 was "obsolete" then... :protest:

89 is not a magnum. Just because it has a roller cam doesn't make it a magnum. The first year for the magnum is 1992. 1991 and below are LA blocks. They started putting roller cams in the LA engines as early as 1985.

89 is not a magnum. Just because it has a roller cam doesn't make it a magnum. The first year for the magnum is 1992. 1991 and below are LA blocks. They started putting roller cams in the LA engines as early as 1985.

Yes, that is true. We have a 91 360 and it has the roller cam and LD340 intake.. :cheers:

The funny thing is the "302" casting refurs to the last three numbers on the longer standard mopar casting number. "714' is the ONLY numbers on the head as far as casting numbers. Thru my considerable research, REALLY, I have found that the "714" casting number could be the best factory head Mopar produced for LA engine. JMO. MT

The funny thing is the "302" casting refurs to the last three numbers on the longer standard mopar casting number. "714' is the ONLY numbers on the head as far as casting numbers. Thru my considerable research, REALLY, I have found that the "714" casting number could be the best factory head Mopar produced for LA engine. JMO. MT

Well thanks for all the info guys it gave me alot of information i needed. Guess i have to fig out what i want to do and go from there. Thanks. Much appreciated.

'89 were the last RWD cars- Diplomat, Fury, and New Yorker Fifth Avenue. 318 only- 2bbl roller cam in civvy cars, 318 2bbl or 4bbl likely with flat tappet in police cars. '89 was first 360 TBIs, '92 was the first Magnums, '93 was the first Magnum 360s- '93 is also when the 318 Jeep Grand Cherokee came out.

The 714 is a roller 318 head? Interesting to accuse any 318 head of being the best LA head with their small ports and thin castings with small stock valves. The 308 open chamber TBI 360 head sometimes is accused of that.

4027596 is I'm pretty sure a 318 4bbl/360 smog head with 1.88/1.60 valves and large ports.

'89 were the last RWD cars- Diplomat, Fury, and New Yorker Fifth Avenue. 318 only- 2bbl roller cam in civvy cars, 318 2bbl or 4bbl likely with flat tappet in police cars. '89 was first 360 TBIs, '92 was the first Magnums, '93 was the first Magnum 360s- '93 is also when the 318 Jeep Grand Cherokee came out.

The 714 is a roller 318 head? Interesting to accuse any 318 head of being the best LA head with their small ports and thin castings with small stock valves. The 308 open chamber TBI 360 head sometimes is accused of that.

4027596 is I'm pretty sure a 318 4bbl/360 smog head with 1.88/1.60 valves and large ports.

I said 714 heads CAN be best stock head mopar put on a small block. Some port work new springs. They were a smogger head but the swirl port design is pretty good. Mill them 35 thousands, bring up the static comp ratio, will really liven up a stock 318. JMO! MT:burnout:

Large ports and bigger valves on a small displacement Engine means lower, low end torque. Higher comp. Ratio helps across the board. And they are a roller LA head.

Large ports and bigger valves on a small displacement Engine means lower, low end torque. Higher comp. Ratio helps across the board. And they are a roller LA head.
Honestly, after having the two back to back I'd just as soon throw them in the scrap pile if they need valve work- don't value them any higher than another 318 head.

In a 4800lb truck the shade of extra low-end was nice, but it didn't make up for what a severe dog it was turning up. Even with 3.23s I turned that truck up a lot and it ran a lot better with the IIRC 675s and the 4bbl than the 302s and the 2bbl. More cam and flow on that truck would've helped it a good deal, the bigger cams/flow the newer trucks have sure has an improvement. Having it run great on cheap gas with the stock cam's pretty nice too. It stayed down about 2mpg since all the changes, but the extra mid-upper range was nice and definitely didn't help the mpg given the additional driver input.

Compression's nice, but so's better ports. If I have to give up one or the other- it's going to be compression in a heartbeat.

Im building a 68 cuda notch. I have been collecting parts to do a 318 mild build. I have all edelbrock parts such as a 600 cfm carb. 4 bbl intake non egr. Timing chain,cam, lifters (which i cant use cuz i purchased the flat tapped cam n lifters), valve springs. Ect. I was told the 318 i have was a 77 block. But it turns out its a 89 magnum. With roller rockers and flat top pistons. Question is i purchased a set of 4027596 318 heads. To put on the motor. The only difference i see is between the 714 heads are the holes where the push rods go through look bigger on the 89 motor? Is this a prob? Will the 596 heads work on this motor, any help will be appreciated.
A flat tappet cam and lifters can be used in a roller block. About all the 318s came with flat top pistons. If your motor's got a roller cam with the spiders, lifters, and all- that's going to be better to use that or have it reground than to swap to a flat tappet. The later heads do have larger pushrod valleys, but though I've not done it yet I don't see why you couldn't up the early heads up for clearance there.

You mention a lot, but not what ignition you're going to be using. A 318 car that year would've had lean-burn and a 318 truck that year would've had a TBI that controlled the timing with a computer. Do you have an electronic ignition worked out for it yet?

I have a flat tap cam. Edelbrock lifters n all. But would i need diff push rods? The ignition is the new style tci unit where its all one unit eliminating all the old school stuff. My plan was to put a 4 bbl edelbrock 600 w/performer intake do the 596 heads edelbrock performer cam lifters valve springs. Timing chain n the tci style ignition. Eliminating all the smog bs. But i got her all tore apart and now im scratching my head because i was told i had a 77 motor and its a 89 roller cam? So im not sure what to do?

Well thanks for all the info guys it gave me alot of information i needed. Guess i have to fig out what i want to do and go from there. Thanks. Much appreciated.
What are you going to do with the 596 heads??
One of mine I ordered got broken during shipping, and the replacement one with the same number on it is different.

-
Back