408 DYNO results!!! Finally!

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, Finally got the engine together, and on the dyno today. To say i went to hell and back getting this thing finished with all the customization that i had to go through, and the complete bag of surprises building a high performance smallblock mopar comes with....Here's a few specs and the results...

408 CID
eagle forged crank
eagle forged H beam rods
ARP everything
keith black ICON forged pistons.
mopar performance Super Commando Cylinder heads
2.08 intake valve. full porting and valve job
custom full roller Harland Sharp rockers.
Edelbrock Super Victor intake.
12.5 to 1 compression
cometic head gasket.
hardened chromoly pushrods
trickflow neutral balance damper.
aluminum water pump with electric motor (ran 160 degrees through all the passes)
coated bearings.
crane full roller solid lifters
bullet racing, custom, Billet cam from straub technologies. Great guy, cam within .03 horsepower of his prediction!

now for the final numbers! she made 607.7 at 6800 RPM, and 550 Torque.
Straub predicted 608. the sheet i posted was the 2nd to last one before we made a final timing adjustment.
it only dropped to 590 through 7200...

very excited! Sorry to brag, but though everyone might do good to hear that after a full year of ruining two blocks...custom rockers, no aftermarket support, roadblock after roadblock...and of course thousands of dollars...hang in there because eventually it'll pay off! thanks anyone who put in tidbits of info along the way, and thanks to Chris Straub for the great cam profile and numbers prediction!

Thank you...alot of blood, sweat, and money went into this motor lol

How do you like the Mopar performance heads? I been meaning to buy a pair, I get one hell of a discount on MP parts.

good number

do you have the flow chart of your heads
just wanna know how they flow

I have it somewhere. the low and mid flow was 250, then at .5 .6 .7 they leveled out at about 285...i was actually hoping for 300. but fell short after what i would consider heavy porting. but they still did the job according to the numbers!

How do you like the Mopar performance heads? I been meaning to buy a pair, I get one hell of a discount on MP parts.

yeah i also get a discount on them, which is why i went with them being the mopar catalog claims they flow 265 out of the box, and with MILD porting they hit 300. I'll be the first to call BS on those numbers, problem being they flow them on a 4.125 bore...not a 4.030 or 4.040 like the average joe. mine very well might floe 325 on a 4.125, but they sure aren't going to do it at 4.030 with 28 inches of water.

long story short if you're using anything other than an R block with a huge bore, be ready to spend another 6-800 dollars to have the valves unshrouded and the ports/runners cleaned up. and as with any set of aftermarket heads, the springs are useless unless using a .480 hydraulic so you'll need those...and oh yeah...no one make an off the shelf rocker for them. call harland sharp and ask for randy jr, he can set you up with my rocker setup, IF you go to a pinch smaller spring.
These heads are not exactly a bolt on and go operation!

i guess i shouldn't have made my last response to you in reference to ALL MP heads...i'm only referring to the new super commando's. any other SB head from them is simply an edelbrock...you're paying for them to etch an M on the end instead of an edelbrock logo.

i guess i shouldn't have made my last response to you in reference to ALL MP heads...i'm only referring to the new super commando's. any other SB head from them is simply an edelbrock...you're paying for them to etch an M on the end instead of an edelbrock logo.

Yup, but that 25% off makes up the difference! Glad you like 'em

Congrats Johnny! those are some impressive numbers. What's it going in? tmm

Very nice numbers.
I'd like to see torque curve too.
maybe cam specs ?
I thought the super commandos would flow a bit more too , but it certainly seems to work.
I was hoping to get my motor on the pump by now , but the obstacles piled up for a while , then the money tree went dormant.
I was going to pass on dynoing it , but since it looks like I won't be making laps this year , I may change the plan.
I do love me a nice stout small block MoPar.

Very nice numbers.
I'd like to see torque curve too.
maybe cam specs ?
I thought the super commandos would flow a bit more too , but it certainly seems to work.
I was hoping to get my motor on the pump by now , but the obstacles piled up for a while , then the money tree went dormant.
I was going to pass on dynoing it , but since it looks like I won't be making laps this year , I may change the plan.
I do love me a nice stout small block MoPar.

the torque cam on around 5000 i believe, and the cam was actually a reverse profile... i was nervous until dyno day. 622 intake 590 exhaust 110 lobe sep.

keep hangin in there, it'll come together eventually!

VERY nice!! Now stick that thing in a car and go get your low 10 second time slip :D.

Nice to hear you got a good deal on otherwise way to expensive heads.
Also great to hear someone worked with you on getting your rocker arms made.
I just can't believe that they advertise the head as "A low cost head" when there double the price of W2 heads and have no rockers for them, need a good deal of work to I shroud the valve and do not flow all to well via compared to the 1/2 price comp.

-
Back