408 LA build

-
Reaction score
Trying to see if someone has a similar combo as me and can see what cam or mods they are running. Trying to get my street strip car to run 6.80’s - 6.90’s

Here’s my build in a 1972 dodge demon weighing 3150 with me in it
408 LA
Fully ported eddy heads flowing 300 cfm
Holley street strip dominator intake port matched
10.0:1 pistons
H beams rods
Holley 750 dp carb
MSD 6AL box and MSD distributor
Mopar purple shaft 528 528 284 284 cam
Cam is advanced 4 degrees on timing gear
Dana 60 with 3.73 gears
Dynamic 4200-4500 stall converter
904 with a low gear set a reverse manual valve body
27 x 11.5 Hoosier slicks
Hooker 1 3/4” headers 3” collectors 2.5” exhaust

Should I try a different cam? Wanting to keep it street able being that I drive to the track, bolt on slicks and race then drive it home. It’s running in the 7 teens now and did all the head and intake work this winter hoping for some very close 6.90 times but it didn’t seem to help much. The cam is a 112 on a 110 so I know that’s killing some but wasn’t sure what some other people did to theirs while keeping them N/A

I would call Jim at Racer Brown after 3pm and tell him what you are running and what you want to run. A higher stall converter would help bigtime.

Not sure about the intake but I’m sure others can help out there. Port matching I’m sure helped it.

Can’t go much bigger stall for street driving without my trans getting hot. Port matching the intake and fully porting the heads and going from a 3000 stall to the 4200 stall picked it up about 15 or 16 numbers. Was running a 7.30

Can’t go much bigger stall for street driving without my trans getting hot. Port matching the intake and fully porting the heads and going from a 3000 stall to the 4200 stall picked it up about 15 or 16 numbers. Was running a 7.30

This isn’t 1970 anymore. Lots of guys running high stall converters on the street with the proper cooler not hooked up to the radiator.

OP, I'd call Bullet, Racer Brown, or Crower and tell them your combo. They'll be able to guide you from there. Also, if you have your valve spring part # and PTV clearance, that'll help them too. Not entirely necessary, but it helps to have those figures handy.

Also, the cam, rear gears, and the convertor should ideally be matched. I run an 8" PTC convertor with a remote cooler (w/fan) and it helps control the Temps. 4:10 gears in a D60. It's never got hot and I street drive the piss out of it.

Your goal is certainly within reach with your combo.

Show us a time slip with all the particulars and we can do a much better job giving advice. Although, everything allready mentioned is spot on.

I just got my dynamic converter a week ago, told him my whole build and what I did with the car and that’s the converter he sent me, I will call some of the people you guys are mentioning. I’ll get some pictures of time slips next race I can go to after my surgery. I was gonna try 4.10 gets but I do 75-80 most of the time driving and I drive between 3-6 hours away for a race so wanted to keep the rpm’s down a little bit more

Before I got my heads done my 60ft was 1.56 and 7.30-7.34. Now I’m at a 7.12-7.15 so not sure what else to do to get it in the 80’s or 90’s without going to a roller cam. Some cam recommendations would help too because I don’t think the cake I have is right for running in the 6’s but what do you guys think and what cams are you running

Before I got my heads done my 60ft was 1.56 and 7.30-7.34. Now I’m at a 7.12-7.15 so not sure what else to do to get it in the 80’s or 90’s without going to a roller cam. Some cam recommendations would help too because I don’t think the cake I have is right for running in the 6’s but what do you guys think and what cams are you running
What was your MPH?

You only need a good step or two bigger cam to hit your goals. If you know your valve to piston clearance, retainer to guide/seal clearance and spring specs, and rocker ratio you could see how much lobe lift you “could” fit, then call around. But just throwing out something, even with your gearing, for what you’re looking for I’d be mighty tempted to try something with specs similar to, with a little wider LSA or even actually this:

Drag Race Solid Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 278/278

Last edited:
There is always a better cam than one from a catalog. However, the cam you have is what I would call in the 'sensible' range for a car that you want to keep streetable. Your definition of streetable will be different to others....
So I would try it & see if it does the job for you.

-
Back