408 Magnum Stroker Build...cam selection

-
If you dont like the advice you being offered for FREE here, why dont you take the advice of your "engine builder" who you are paying? He ain't gonna be happy when YOU wanna change the cam choice based on internet advice.

you don't need a 408 to run 13sec most any 340 0r 360 can do that if set up right.you have a builder , do you trust him or not . the people here have a ton of good info and the timeslip to back it up , your choice of who you listen to , make a choice

He doesn’t trust the builder outright and is looking for opinions and the BTDT.
He wants the stroker for mad house torque for burn outs.
At his C.I.D., most any cam will do what he wants.

nice try woods
he wants to use his stock converter and gears
I gave him the answer that works but he does not want to hear it
his builder has fixation on a camgrinder who does not have an answer to his specifications
here we have one of the few instances these days (what with better exhaust flows) where a longer exhaust and low overlap are optimal
really easy to give up 50 ft lbs down low- like with that 274cam
now some don't care...

My LA 408 with 2.02 indy LA-X heads shaved to 59cc's, good quench and a hughes ser3438aln-10 zero deck 10.5:1 727 manual valve body in a 68 Barracuda stock trim...runs 11.63 at 119 in the quarter with 3.23's with a 3200 stall from TCS Products in Langley BC Canada. Great converters. It's loose enough to not die at in gear idle at 800 rpm but tight enough to not get the full flair till you put your foot through the floor. This converter actually flairs to 3500 with the torque of the 408. Your converter will be too small to take advantage of the torque curve of your stroker and will be lazy off the line just before you send em up in smoke. You can get them directly from TCS or SMR Transmissions smr transmissions They get them from TCS. You can fill out SMR's spec sheet for your motor, CAM SPECS, trans, gears etc and they will recommend a converter and stall for your build.

This thread went into the ditch, slammed into a culvert, flipped over and exploded into a fireball. .Dude has only made two posts since this catastrophe. Obviously was a traumatic event, hasn’t yet fully recovered:rolleyes:

op, i was hoping you would get some good answers to your question.cant believe how it went in this direction.good luck

op, i was hoping you would get some good answers to your question.cant believe how it went in this direction.good luck

He was last seen October 28, 2020! Too bad we didn't learn how the build turned out.

Screenshot_20230407_103202_Chrome.jpg

I think the OP got the right info, he just didn't want to see something contrary to his already formed opinions. Also this isn't a forum for the thin skinned.

He had kind of a weird combo in my opinion. A handful of good parts for a base and then topping it with stock manifolds and stock converter. I wouldn't do that.

-
Back