408 or gen 3 hemi

-
My 408 with ported Edelbrocks, victor 340, 950HP, flat solid cam with 1.6 rockers, 10.8-1, 727 with a 9 1/2 converter that flashed 5400, 4.10 gears on radials ran high 6.50's on pump 93 at 3260#. Never had it on a dyno so I don't know what it made. If I can do it any monkey can.
That's exactly my point.......what he is trying to do is very easily accomplished.

That's exactly my point.......what he is trying to do is very easily accomplished.

Yes it is. I can say this going from high 6.50's to mid 6.20's was an expensive deal for me.

My sons stock crank 360 ran 6.54 three different times at 3200 pounds which is 10.20-10.30’s. Little .620 lift roller cam, ported Edelbrock heads, ported Victor340 intake, flat top pistons, open chamber heads (340 style) uncut deck, 750 alcohol carb. Can’t get much simpler than that.

The goal post has been moved.
The original post made no mention of drag strip performance.

It was:
Let’s hear your thoughts on set ups to get 500/550 wheel hp out of a 408 or gen 3 hemi.

It was:

True, but as you well know drag strip performance is a indicator of the power one makes. How accurate it is would be another discussion.

It was:
Actually he pulled back on that and said he wasn't concerned about specific numbers but that he just wanted to spank stock and slightly modified hellcats and again that is easily done with the 3 detailed examples shown

Actually he pulled back on that and said he wasn't concerned about specific numbers but that he just wanted to spank stock and slightly modified hellcats and again that is easily done with the 3 detailed examples shown
A dream. lol on the highway an A-body has no chance with the top end of the Hellcat.
I think the OP is talking street, so with traction control the Hellcat still wins. lol

If someone told me I had to roll my car into the dyno and lay down 550hp down to the rear wheels NA for the least amount of money....I choose in this order 1. Big Block 2. Gen III 3. small block
I can't think of any small block of any brand around here that runs on pump gas that would put 550HP to the tires...likely you would need a solid 700hp at the crank to do it

Last edited:
A dream. lol on the highway an A-body has no chance with the top end of the Hellcat.
I think the OP is talking street, so with traction control the Hellcat still wins. lol
Hmmm sounded to me like he meant on the track as he references the track a lot and its spliiting hairs since maybe the hellcat would win on the street......I blew off a procharged scat pack that a friend of mine has with my first engine so i can attest that it can again be easily done......and don't even think about at the track, those cars are tanks and get embarrassed unless they are heavily modified.

I was simply getting ideas of both avenues. Street/track are two totally different worlds.. Not much will hang with a hellcat on the freeway with mods and 8 speed in A body world. Just wanted to get thoughts on the gen 3 and la. I was waiting for guys to chime in on there 408+ combos. I know you could put down some good power with LA’s. I was curious about gen 3 also there new to me. Just want to surprise the guy in the hellcat if he thinks he’s cool. I WANT to try a gen 3 engine. Probably just stick with a 408/416 stroker though.

I was simply getting ideas of both avenues. Street/track are two totally different worlds.. Not much will hang with a hellcat on the freeway with mods and 8 speed in A body world. Just wanted to get thoughts on the gen 3 and la. I was waiting for guys to chime in on there 408+ combos. I know you could put down some good power with LA’s. I was curious about gen 3 also there new to me. Just want to surprise the guy in the hellcat if he thinks he’s cool. I WANT to try a gen 3 engine. Probably just stick with a 408/416 stroker though.

Wise man.

If someone told me I had to roll my car into the dyno and lay down 550hp down to the rear wheels NA for the least amount of money....I choose in this order 1. Big Block 2. Gen III 3. small block
I can't think of any small block of any brand around here that runs on pump gas that would put 550HP to the tires...likely you would need a solid 700hp at the crank to do it

Mine put down 543 on pump 93, through the exhaust, belt driven fan, WP, alternator and with the air cleaner on.

To PRs point we use the dyno to get tune correct then we hit the track, nothing else matters for us. Several of us on FABO race on a pretty regular basis PR and his boy are a perfect example of that. we have pix, Time slips and buy each other beer and dogs at track. It is a tight knit group for sure. As so many of us have seen, and per my previous post, where I am located the modern challengers run high 11s to high 12s all day. The Hellcats are a bit quicker but for most part poorly driven. I am sure there is a lot of Hellcat drivers that don’t panic and simply give more throttle but that is what we mostly see. They are easy Pickens! Sounds like the OP has made his decision and going with a stroked 408. That is a great platform and he should smoke the stock modern challengers with no problem. This thread has been a hoot. And again it is great PR is up and healing. He is one of the good ones, with exception of his penchant for Walmart pix, hah! Have fun OP

Yes, the hellcats are very heavy! Mine weighs in at 4600 lbs with me in it and only runs a measly 11.1 at 125 MPH stock. Sure there are faster cars out there but I enjoy the fact that I can drive it to the track with the AC and tunes on, run low 11’s then drive it home! I also use this as my family car and daily driver and get an average of 18 miles per gallon.

Yes, the hellcats are very heavy! Mine weighs in at 4600 lbs with me in it and only runs a measly 11.1 at 125 MPH stock. Sure there are faster cars out there but I enjoy the fact that I can drive it to the track with the AC and tunes on, run low 11’s then drive it home! I also use this as my family car and daily driver and get an average of 18 miles per gallon.
I totally understand as I have a modern scat pack challenger as well. I love driving it, I have driven it across the country with so many tools on board (not counting the one behind the wheel) that the car listed to passenger side! You could hide three dead bodies in the trunk, trunk is huge. The fact we can run them at the track or on the highway at exceptionally high speeds is a testament to modern technology. My Cuda would leave a oil slick and a trail of parts if I thrashed it like I do the modern one! Both are fun but to your point it is a boat for weight!

Is that 11.1 with or without the AC on.

LOL.......how many tracks you been to that will let a car run down it with the AC on so it can drain water on the starting line and down the track?
It was a joke.
FWIW in the late 70's and early 80's we had land barge Caddy's running bracket at Spokane, AC and stereo on. lol
ahh the good ole day's, not so much anymore, they took all the fun away.

I totally understand as I have a modern scat pack challenger as well. I love driving it, I have driven it across the country with so many tools on board (not counting the one behind the wheel) that the car listed to passenger side! You could hide three dead bodies in the trunk, trunk is huge. The fact we can run them at the track or on the highway at exceptionally high speeds is a testament to modern technology. My Cuda would leave a oil slick and a trail of parts if I thrashed it like I do the modern one! Both are fun but to your point it is a boat for weight!

The 392 Scat Packs run very well! There is a very nice B5 Scat challenger A8 that runs at Sonoma. He is consistently running 11.90’s and is stock other than drag radials!

Those cars are fast for sure at that weight. Are those NA or the blower cars. I don’t know what came with what but if I had one I would pay the penalties I was owed from the 1970-1980’s street racing. I know I would go and get my first speeding ticket.

Hellcats have a blower, mine is the standard version and only has 707HP and 650 lb-ft. The newer redeye version has 797HP.

The scat packs are NA and put out 485HP and 475 lb-ft.

-
Back