410 LA small block will not rev past 6000

-
Based on the OP’s description………and assuming he understands how what he said will be interpreted……I’m comfortable with my assessment of what’s going on.

Unfortunately, it’s an expensive proposition to test it.

I’d say, he’s lived with it this long……..just keep driving it, and possibly look into addressing it when the engine gets freshened.

20+ years ago we chased our tales looking for more rpm out of my friends Stocker.
Adding spring pressure did nothing…….. in fact it seemed like when things went in the crapper, it happened more abruptly.

We were trying different cams from different suppliers, different ramp rates, etc……. Without success.
It was good till about 6k, but we really needed another 500rpm to get the car thru the finish line clean.

At that point, I was pretty sure the lobe designs and springs weren’t the issue.
So, we tested Hyd lifters vs solid lifters on the dyno.
Poof……with the solids, the engine would run to 7k no problem.
Why they’re beating around the bush on these idiot ideas I’ll never know, LIFTERS LIFTERS LIFTERS. Quit wasting y’all’s time with head flow and springs

Here’s a screen shot from a test on a 427bbc that was having some HR lifter issues after 6400rpm.
Courtesy- Nicks Garage:

6A22B6FA-511C-4450-A61E-692E91A6BB68.png

It’s good……..right up until it’s not.
Actually, getting 6400 out of a HR in one of those is pretty good.

He said above he had 2.055 valves installed and then did some work on the ports. If it was good work the heads will easily work to 7000
I was reading all that too and saying nah.. 2.05 eddy's ported, not destroyed, should be plenty enough for 7k @410cid.
I've had 410 cid sb with balls deep ported j heads get into 7200 rpm no problem...Though the solid roller helped too .lol

Well if you look at 112 mph the dyno graph is showing about 400 hp and 360 tq if I'm reading it right.

400 hp x 5252 / 360 tq = 5836 rpms and a couple of mph above that it drops off. So 6000 rpms does seem to be the end of the road.

I now get why 5252 don't happen at 88 mph, cause the torque and hp are scaled different so even though they cross at 88 mph there not the same hp/tq amounts there.
Yeah, those graphs can be tricky, lol.

-
Back