416 coming together...

-

hilbillyconques

Reaction score
i finally am getting some work done on the 416 , it will still be a couple of months before finished , but i was wondering what you guys thought it might run, horsepower it will make?

it is a 30 over 340 block with 4 inch k-1 forged crank and rods , diamond dished pistons the compression came out at 10.1. the camshaft is a solid flat tappet with 252 at 50 intake 260 exhaust with a gross valve lift of 614 intake 597 on the exhaust . the heads are 360-1s with shady dells stage one port and polish, indy intake and a 4781 850 holley dp .it will use 1 7/8 tti headers with 3 inch exhaust to the rearend and it has a 3800 or so dynamic converter 727 with brake , and will run a 3.91 gear for now , the slicks are 26x8.
it will be going in a 67 dart that is about 3400 pounds with driver, the plan was to make a decent pump gas street car that later could add compression and a roller if needed.
if i forgot anything just ask and i will try to post some pics so you can see how it is going.

this is how it looks now
fourwheelerpics018.jpg

cam card
416camcard.jpg

flow chart for the heads

360-1flowchartstageoneshadydell-1.jpg

intake shot
fourwheelerpics010.jpg

chamber with o-ring
fourwheelerpics004-1.jpg

t and d rocker 1.7 intake 1.6 exhaust
fourwheelerpics003-2.jpg

i really dont have any good pics of the car but i will post the ones i have now
67dart005.jpg

67dart001.jpg

thanks in advance for the help guys.

Sorry to go off subject, but what color blue is that? I'd love to see a pic in the light.

very nice setup - you will need more tire than 26x8. the 255 x 60s ET street radial are 27" x 8 3/4" tread and will fit in the fenderwells on a 8"cop rim or similiar.
I'd like to know what you have invested in the heads and intake - thinking of making a change.

:cheers:nice setup let us know what it turns, good luck

I would imagine that beast will be over 500 hp easy and run at least low 11s. Its gonna be a total animal that is for sure.

How did you like dealing with Shady Dell? I am thinking of getting ported Edelbrocks from them for a 414 stroker I am building. From what I have heard their reputation is outstanding.

It's going to be a monster to say the least. I ran it on desktop dyno just to see what it says. It shows 535 hp at 6000 and 530 at 6500. The torque is awesome too with 420 at 3000, 446 at 3500 and peak was 507 at 5000. I actually expected it to show more after reading what you have and it may very well be more.

BTW: What size valves are in those heads? I put them in as 2.02's and 1.60's. It shouldn't make a difference when you put in the flow numbers which I did but it does make some difference I've noticed. Maybe it sees a difference in velocity per valve size if that makes sense???

I agree with 388dart that your gonna need more tire. As much as you can stuff in there. With everything set up properly I don't see why it won't go 10's on a bad day. jmho

388dart
i didnt know that the e t street radials were that size i have the hoosier quick time pro on there for the street and a set of slicks for the track. is the e t street radials mickey thompson do you have any pics or links. thanks

340sfastback
shadydell is good people to deal with it took some time to get these heads w/the o-rings but the end result was super, i started to have the heads fully ported but decided it could be one of those up grades later.

fishy68
i believe the valve size is 2.10 intake and 1.625 exhaust

thanks guys i will post some ets later in the year .

Do the Commando valve covers clear those rocker arms OK? I like that you left the 273 emblems on the front fenders. Should give somebody a bit of a surprise.

Do the Commando valve covers clear those rocker arms OK? I like that you left the 273 emblems on the front fenders. Should give somebody a bit of a surprise.

no the valve covers wont clear , i thought they would till i got all the pushrods and lifters in and they hit when the center valves open. i guess i will be looking for some new ones .

We are finisishing a combo that is almost the same as yours and were told to that we should make about 550 hp. We have a 67 dartgt as well same gearing kinda funny, great minds think alike. we should have ours back on the street in a week or so. I want to find a tail panel that looks as good as yours , did you have it repaired or is it original? great color choice also ours is that copper color not sure we will leave that color but you don't see too many like it either.

no the valve covers wont clear , i thought they would till i got all the pushrods and lifters in and they hit when the center valves open. i guess i will be looking for some new ones .

4secondsflat.com sells a 1/2" aluminum spacer that would allow you to keep the 273 VCs - something different is good.

Was that an original 273 HiPo car ? Hope you kept the old drive train if so. This was mine (sold 'er last year) All original 4 speed car :

100_0735 (Small).JPG

Was that an original 273 HiPo car ? Hope you kept the old drive train if so. This was mine (sold 'er last year) All original 4 speed car :

yes, it is i do still have the original 273 with all the hi po pieces . i thought about putting it back original then i thought what fun would that be, and keep all the original parts in case i ever sold.

nice car by the way.

Yes it was - I thought about going you're route as well, but decided to restore to original (except for the rallyes) It sold at the Nationals - I've since bought a car I can "play" with (nothing original or numbers matching about it) It'll be done soon and I'll post pics. Here's a preview : 340 car and may do the 416 thing one day myself !

5-08 040 (Small).jpg

-
Back