416 stroker ???

-

supra7tt

Reaction score
I dont see many a 340 stroke to 416 on here is there a better combo and also who makes a good kit.

Theres god amount of guys with 408s and 416s actually. Im sure they will chime in.

I run a 416, most guys save the 340s cuase they cost so much for restores, but I would use Forged Ross 9.5 dished pistons, forged eagle crank H rods etc., cleaned the heads some what to about 60 CC and you get around a little better than a 10.5 compression engine, use cometic head gaskets too.

Also my 2 cents the bigger bore will give you a little less shrouding of the intake valves, and i went with 1.65 ex and 2.02 small stem chevy stainless valves in X heads and a larger solid Crane cam too.

I also think that while they both make great power and gobs of torque, the 340 with the smaller mains will spin up skightly better even with the longer stroke. Think of it as a lite weigh big block, it needs more cam, good exhaust, and more intake. I like the air gap and about 800 cfms too. Also I use TTI headers.

But then again you shoud really need to never see over say 6k and 500HP is very easy for these combos.

I run a 416, most guys save the 340s cuase they cost so much for restores, but I would use Forged Ross 9.5 dished pistons, forged eagle crank H rods etc., cleaned the heads some what to about 60 CC and you get around a little better than a 10.5 compression engine, use cometic head gaskets too.

Also my 2 cents the bigger bore will give you a little less shrouding of the intake valves, and i went with 1.65 ex and 2.02 small stem chevy stainless valves in X heads and a larger solid Crane cam too.

I also think that while they both make great power and gobs of torque, the 340 with the smaller mains will spin up skightly better even with the longer stroke. Think of it as a lite weigh big block, it needs more cam, good exhaust, and more intake. I like the air gap and about 800 cfms too. Also I use TTI headers.

But then again you shoud really need to never see over say 6k and 500HP is very easy for these combos.

So i should just build my 340 instead of stroking it,For a street machine.

Only if you are building a numbers matching ride... But just keep the crank, rods etc. you can always put it back to a .030 over 340 or so right?

How much $$$$ are you planning on the budget, engine, trans, rear gears, options etc? suspension..

What do you want out of it?

I can tell you I got at least 7k just in the motor+ accessories. Then another $15k at least in the trans, rear end, brakes, suspension etc. in my 64 dart. I think when I am done with the paint and body in a year or 2 I will be at at leat $30K in the 64 Dart. But man it is gonna be a sweet ride..

For me 30k better spent on the Dart than on a new camary or other rice machine...:burnout::burnout::burnout:

I love mine much more......LOL:love7::love7:
416 Scamp what is your combo and what does it weigh? Just curious as my 416 69 Dart. Runs a 1.52 60'. But ET's at 11.08 @ 120.68 mph. Best 1/8 has been 6.99. Usually 7.02-7.05. What heads and cam are you running? Jim

416 Scamp what is your combo and what does it weigh? Just curious as my 416 69 Dart. Runs a 1.52 60'. But ET's at 11.08 @ 120.68 mph. Best 1/8 has been 6.99. Usually 7.02-7.05. What heads and cam are you running? Jim

Weighs 3315lbs. Eddy heads cnc'd by Muscle Motors and 570 comp cam solid flat tappet 267/274 @50.

Cool, a pissing contest.........my 408 is AWESOME and not touched by anything in here. LOL, Sell your 340 equipment and buy a $5,000 combo from MP as a crate motor. You will be money ahead in the long run. Especially for a street machine. If you wanna race it then spend the money, but do it with a 360 not the 340.

Cool, a pissing contest.........my 408 is AWESOME and not touched by anything in here. LOL, Sell your 340 equipment and buy a $5,000 combo from MP as a crate motor. You will be money ahead in the long run. Especially for a street machine. If you wanna race it then spend the money, but do it with a 360 not the 340.

Definately is awesome Lonnie........

build your own i did and it is fm fast
340 to 416
411 grear

You've also got a full blown race car,as compared to our street cars,i would hope i could'nt touch ya'...

So, anyway when my current combo was in my 3500 lbs street car running a little milder and turning low to mid 11's this is what it had. 71 360 truck block, .030, MP cast crank, eagle h beams, ross piston designed for use with Edelbrock head, stage 2 ported eddy heads flowing in the 270 cfm range, solid .623 lift/238 duration and harland sharp 1.6 ratio roller rockers, edelbrock air gap intake with a 750 double pumper carb. Also used all MSD ignition. I also ran this as a 12.3-1 ratio engine on a felpro 1008 gasket, my current combo now has a larger lift roller cam more compression, cometic gaskets, M1 intake and a 950 carb. Hope this helps

Heres my combination that runs 11.0's::'70 340 block 30 over..
mopar cast 4"crank
eagle sir rods
Diamond pistons 10.9 to 1 comp.
Edelbrock heads w/mild port job
Comp magnum rockers
Lunati .533/.552 hyd. cam
Edelbrock air gap intake
Quickfuel 850 carb.
full msd ignition
breathing through tti headers...

this is in a "street car" through the exhaust.....

Only if you are building a numbers matching ride... But just keep the crank, rods etc. you can always put it back to a .030 over 340 or so right?

How much $$$$ are you planning on the budget, engine, trans, rear gears, options etc? suspension..

I can tell you I got at least 7k just in the motor+ accessories. Then another $15k at least in the trans, rear end, brakes, suspension etc. in my 64 dart. I think when I am done with the paint and body in a year or 2 I will be at at leat $30K in the 64 Dart. But man it is gonna be a sweet ride..

For me 30k better spent on the Dart than on a new camary or other rice machine...:burnout::burnout::burnout:
got pics of the dart? im in green river wyoming.

I really dont have a budget ,I just want a nice street machine.I did want to keep it matching## but i could always buy a extra motor.
I guess i would be what you call a ricer lover ,but my Supra puts out 800 to the wheel though a th400 and runs 9's all day driving to and from track 100 miles away.I have the best of all world gm,import and mopar NO FORD

Heres my combination that runs 11.0's::'70 340 block 30 over..
mopar cast 4"crank
eagle sir rods
Diamond pistons 10.9 to 1 comp.
Edelbrock heads w/mild port job
Comp magnum rockers
Lunati .533/.552 hyd. cam
Edelbrock air gap intake
Quickfuel 850 carb.
full msd ignition
breathing through tti headers...

this is in a "street car" through the exhaust.....
This is sweet !!!11's is a hell of a street car

You could just go the already done route with SUMMIT or JEGS and get a BLUEPRINT engine. The have a 408, 375 HP for 5K. Not too bad considering it is COMPLETE and ready to bolt it.

Block:

* Seasoned 360 block
* Square and parallel decked
* Align-honed main bearing bore
* Cylinders honed on computer-controlled machine to within .0002 in. straightness and roundness
* Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness

Rotating Assembly:

* New SCAT cast iron crankshaft
* Keith Black hypereutetic pistons
* Chrysler heavy beam connecting rods
* Hastings moly rings
* Balanced rotating assembly
* Melling high-volume oil pump
* Flat tappet hydraulic lifter camshaft
* Heavy-duty double roller timing set
* Professional Products harmonic balancer

Cylinder Heads:

* Blueprint Magnum cast iron heads
* Heat treated valve springs and retainers
* 2.02 in. swirl-polished intake valves
* 1.60 in. swirl-polished exhaust valves
* Hardened pushrods
* Edelbrock RPM air-gap intake
* Holley fuel pump
* Edelbrock 750 cfm carburetor
* MSD Pro-Billet distributor
* MSD Blaster 2 coil
* MSD spark plug wires
* Spark plugs
* Mopar Performance black satin aluminum valve covers
* Brass freeze plugs
* Dyno-tested--and shipped with results

I dont own one, but I've built 4-5.
#1 is budget, on the stand now.
'73 340 block, sonic tested, .060 over. Diamond forged dished pistons, stock rods w/ARP bolts, mains studded, Scat cast crank, "915" heads with stage 2 porting. 9.5:1 static, Crane hydraulic cam, Crosswind intake, MSD, Holley Street Avenger 870. Target is 430hp, 490tq on pump 89. Budget was $5800 but really went a little higher.
#2 was less budget, but has worked well. $6700.00
'72 340 block, sonic tested .040 over. Diamond forged flat tops, Eagle H beam rods, MP cast crank, mains studded, RPM heads w/stage 1 port, Performer RPM intake, Holley 750, MP ignition. 10.6:1 static ratio, Scott Brown small solid flat tappet. Made 380hp @ the tires, 430tq@ the tires on 93 pump.
#3 was no budget, not dynod as far as I know: $8800.00
'69 340 block, sonic tested, bored .030 over, Kit was from mancini Racing (I would use it again in a heartbeat) Diamond forged flat tops, Eagle H beams, Callies Dragonslayer forged crank. Mains studded, lifters bushed, RPMs ported by Shady Dell Speed (Ryan J.), Comp custom solid roller, six barrel setup, MSD. 11.1:1 static. I know it will go past 500hp, 530tq. Runs 93 pump premium and has about 15K miles on it in CA.

None of these are anything too wild. Be aware of budget cranks and rods. The Scat crank needed to be ground (too much taper), the MP and Callies were fine. I havent used Eagle, but they are worse than Scat by what I've been told by guys that do check and run them. SIR rods frighten me, I'd rather use stockers in mild setups, and better in built setups. I do a lot machining. All get sonic tested, align honed, torque plate honed with ultra fine finish, square decked to whatever I need, deburred, oil systems modified, and heads completely redone or corrected if new. I wouldnt spend $5K on anything from Ma Mopar, or a 375hp stroker. These are all just my opinons, and nobody agrees with them 100% usually...lol.

Scan0003.jpg
[/IMG]

10 shocks , I hope this helps NICK. The torque converter is 5000 PTC. noNOS lol

7172duster
[/URL][/IMG]
100_0369.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0279a.jpg
[/IMG]
We run 6.65 1/8 mile 10.52 ,1/4 mile, this car is driven on the street regularly.

-
Back