425 v-8?

-

zfriedbauer

Reaction score
While digging through a pile of grandpas old Mopar stuff, I came across a head (apparently for a 425?) Stamped in the head it says "Hi-Perf" and the valves that must have been in it were HUGE! Also, the holes for intake or exhaust (can't remember which) are not round, but square or rectangular. Anyway, dad thought we should bead blast it and make a stool with it but I was interested in its history. Anybody know of and engine this would have been on or if its something we should save? Thanks in advance!

That would be a big block chevy rectangle port head. Good stuff. The 425 is either part of the casting number or the date code. Post up a picture.

Bust out the etch-a-sketch and give a picture. Might help a little. :)

To my knowledge, The Chevy big blocks were the only GM engines that had "HI PERF" cast right into the blocks and heads. Kinda a dead giveaway.

Ok! It's a 454 high performance cylinder head. Guy at NAPA Id'd it. He says its in good shape and I should sell it but I still like the idea of making it a stool since I don't have a set. So now that I know what it is, anyone know anything else about that style head? Is it common, what year, etc?

Yup. Like I said. The Chevy big blocks were the only GM motors I have ever seen with "HI PERF" cast in. That's an LS6 454/450HP head. A Chevy guy would probably give you some jack for it.

Ok! It's a 454 high performance cylinder head. Guy at NAPA Id'd it. He says its in good shape and I should sell it but I still like the idea of making it a stool since I don't have a set. So now that I know what it is, anyone know anything else about that style head? Is it common, what year, etc?

It has a date code. It will look just like a date pretty much. If it's a 454 head, it's LS6 territory. They were only made in 70-71.

what is the casting number? 1965-67 HP 396+427 also had the big rectangle intake ports, casting 3856208, also marine

Ill look at it again when I get back up there. If its rare maybe I can find a Chevy owner who needs one. Maybe trade him or sell it for $. Ill get that date code and a cast number soon.

They are scarce for sure. You can get reproductions, but original castings are getting hard to come by.

Are they worth anything separate? The second one looked like It got in a fight thermite and lost. That may be a cool pic to post too... But anyways, are they sellable seperate?

"I know this Mopar guy that's has some HP 454 heads, he doesn't know what they are worth, so I'm gonna try to get them real cheap from that sucker...."

That's what he's going to be telling his friends...

Like we do with Chevy guys that have Hemi parts etc...

Haha. I don't care who knows. If someone was building an all original parts engine for say, a museum or something, I'd sell it. Trade it, what ever. But until then its gonna be a nice heavy stool for the shop. Just glad I know what it is.

-
Back